★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Billy Frontier - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

08-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Billy Frontier - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

I bought Billy Frontier last night and played quite a bit of it. I think that it's a good game overall, and one that you can "wow" your friends with, in terms of graphics. That being said, I have my doubts as to whether or not it has features needed to keep you playing on those long, late-night cattle drives.

The Good
- Pretty solid controls.
I really don't have any complaints about the controls, other than the fact that the "offset reticle" option should be "off" by default.
- Four game types (two of which are pretty fun)
While Stampede and Shootout offer a fair bit of fun, Target Practice and Duel require little thought or skill from the user.
- Polished graphics.
This is one of those games you're going to want to show to your friends who don't have iPhones to make them jealous.
- Solid animations for characters.
Some great death animations by the alien cowboys, and Billy looks great as he runs from the stampede.
- Above average sound.
Gunshots sound like gunshots... what more do you need!
The Bad
- Lack of variety.
While there are 8 "levels," there are really only four game types, with half being set in a "town" location, and the other half in a "swamp" location. Target Practice and Duel last a few minutes at most.
- Limited interaction in two game types.
As mentioned above, Target Practice and Duel require very little from the user, and can get boring very quickly.
- No story (Why am I a cowboy? Why am I fighting aliens? Why are the cows half lizard?)
This game could have really used a cutscene and some story elements to make it feel like a complete package instead of just a collection of mini-games.
The Ugly
- The price is right, for now... However when this game goes up to $6.00, I can see some people getting a bit frustrated with paying that price for a somewhat shallow game.

At first glance, Billy Frontier seems to be a AAA title, with sharp graphics and sound, and some good humor. However if you dig a bit deeper into the game, you'll find that the game is actually a bit shallow, especially once the price jumps to $6.00. The inclusion of an actual story, or even some simple cutscenes that connected the mini-games together would have helped out a great deal. As it stands now, you'll have a nice tech demo to show off to your friends, but once you've played the game a dozen times, you probably won't be coming back for more.
08-29-2008, 12:29 PM
yeah

i wish there was a story line to it then i might play it more

08-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm sure they'll update it to make it better...
I hope they do soon, at least, because although I do agree it's fun, I also agree it has barely any lasting value, too. At least $3 was better than $6...
08-29-2008, 01:08 PM
It just feels like the game was rushed out after they finished with the graphics and sound. I don't see myself coming back to this game very often, and the same can be said for Cro-Mag Rally, which I haven't gone back to play very much. Pangea Software has the talent to make great games, but they need to exercise a bit more patience and focus more on gameplay than presentation.

Matt
08-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Im really frustrated with this game.
Pointless, slow fps, wierd (ugly) design.

Controls are OK/BAD, i mean why i cant move the aim with one finger then shoot with other one?
Why i have to press arrows to turn my head instead of use the accelerometer?
Why i have to look and tape stupid symbols for 3 min instead of watching the duel introduction THEN enter symbol combo to beat other.

It just dont worth 3$
08-30-2008, 05:08 AM
The settings screen looks like it was ripped from another app completely. It is a nicely polished set of games otherwise, but ultimately short lived.
08-30-2008, 03:26 PM
the game totaly messed up my ipod and gave me big problems, ayone else hav this problem?

Last edited by wilson; 08-30-2008 at 03:29 PM.
08-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
the game totaly messed up my ipod and gave me big problems, ayone else hav this problem?
Have you tried rebooting?

Matt
08-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
Have you tried rebooting?
yes twice,it like completly killed my ippod did things i thought couldent happen :/

my advice to everyone is to download it now while its cheeper if u want it, then put it on your ipod but to not enter and / or, use the application until the update and fix the bug

Last edited by wilson; 08-30-2008 at 09:47 PM.
08-31-2008, 12:55 AM
My ipod touch crashed out for the first time in its 6 month life
It was the evening of installing Billy Frontier but I could not say for sure if it was this app that was the source of my problems. . .

- Apps stopped working- went to loading screen then crashed back to menu
- All music/movies lost from ipod at next sync (this may have been due to the two button restart I tried on the ipod

doing a restore now