Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 AM

After playing it for about an hour, I can say it's pretty much a perfect port. Better than perfect in fact, because it has no load times, and has improved graphics as an option - even with redrawn intro image! Cowboy Rodeo deserves every cent they earn from this game, and the game itself is worth every cent they are asking for it.

On 3GS, framerate is perfect 60FPS, without a single frame drop ever. On Ipod Touch 1st gen, the same can be said while you play the game in landscape, but the framerate is slightly sub-60FPS when in portrait mode. Its still consistent though, and I haven't seen any ball gliches/jumps/teleportings like it could happen in Dreams on my 1st gen Touch. All in all, performance is improved, even though the tables are more complex here.

I was worried about the ball speed after reading some info about what they did with it, but the speed feels just right - it appears faster than Dreams with classic difficulty enabled, but slower than Dreams with classic disabled.

Now, Dreams with classic = off, was faster than the original, but with that option enabled it felt slower than the original. Thus, Fantasies falls in-between and feels just right actually. Authors said the speed is 100% identical to Amiga NTSC version of the game, which was 10% slower than PAL version, but even though I played PAL version back then, this feels pretty much the same. Trust me, those who played the original, will be right at home here, and those who will play this for the first time now have nothing to worry about.

Now, the wait for Illusions begins! :P

Last edited by Marconelly; 07-20-2009 at 12:40 AM..
Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 AM

Default Wow!!!!!! Its awesome

Thanks Very much to all involved . Been waiting a while for this and just got home from work and yep its there ... LOVE IT . exactly what i expected ,, perfection from Cowboy Rodeo .. once again .. THANKS ..
Please everyone get this game , its the best pinball game you will ever play and we want them to make more ....
Old 07-20-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM imagery View Post
are u kidding? I'd pay $10 for these classics.
Well to be fair, I have never played these before. The sentimental value of these older games can expand the enjoyment for the people who played them back in the day. I completely understand.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:33 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Loved the first one - insta-bought this one - loving this one too, even more so.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:38 AM

Played for a while, and it's fun! Never played fantasies till now but loving it so far. Runs fine on my 1gen touch. There is some lag sometimes in portrait mode as pointed out but other than that, it's smooth.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OahuSurf View Post
Well to be fair, I have never played these before. The sentimental value of these older games can expand the enjoyment for the people who played them back in the day. I completely understand.
I can honestly say that with this pinball series (Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions), nostalgia has very little to do with it. They are really quality laid out pinball tables, with well thought out goals to shoot for. Something like that is not really easy to see on the first look, the difference between a good an badly designed pinball table is not immediately obvious, until you play them for some time, and things start 'clicking' (or don't).

I have fond memories of all kinds of games, much like everyone else, but I know that many games that I remember enjoying before, I can only play for a few minutes now, just to remind myself what they were like, but I see full well they are not all that anymore. Games like Dragon's Lair are good example of this, but there are many more. However, this is just not the case of this pinball trilogy - I've been playing numerous newer pinball games in the meantime, and I still play Dreams (and now Fantasies) for hours on Iphone without ever thinking that they feel dated.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 AM

I feel like I've been waiting ages for this one and, man, it doesn't disappoint. Nostalgia hormones kicked in instantly and, when they began to fade, I was still enjoying it simply for what this is - a fantastic pinball game.

The Saturn-like net effect for transparency is odd - it wasn't like that originally, was it?

The tables are more detailed and have just more going on than Dreams and is a perfect successor to that game. Anyone who enjoys pinball games would love this and I'm so glad Cowboy Rodeo have done such a good job optimising it - it plays so well even on my 1G Touch.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 AM

Yesssssss! Insta-bought this and I'm loving it!

Now there's just the wait for Pinball Illusions, but I'll wait as long as it takes for that beauty of a game.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:53 AM

You guys should really post a new video. If there is indeed no lag, it definitely doesn't look that way on the front page demo.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:21 AM

It feels too slow to me. The ball takes forever to come down. The sense of speed you should get when you throw the ball up on a ramp is nonexistent. Maybe Pb Dreams with classic difficulty turned off is too fast, but Fantasies really feels sluggish as it is.