★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Design a TD with Me!

07-19-2009, 11:45 PM
Send a message via MSN to Jyaw3
Design a TD with Me!

Alright so thanks for the feed back on the original ideas for genres, and then narrowing it down, and while it was close between a TD and a TBS. I've figured that a TD is probably "easier" to make for now.

So, first question that I never really got an answer to, is in terms of order, do people like to click the UI, then click a cell to build a tower? or click the cell then show a menu to build a tower from?

the first generally means a persistent UI that has tower types on screen, second means it's only visible if you touch a cell

Any other comments on other things would be fine too, but I'm just taking this one step at a time

Josh Yaw - www.subtractionstudios.com
iPhone/iPod Touch Games
2 Block - Released! July 23
Fridger - Released Oct 6!
07-19-2009, 11:48 PM
Just make sure when you submit it, it comes with an endless mode and a local leaderboard. And for your question, I prefer click and drag but that's just me. Got a theme for it yet?
Path-based/open area maps would be cool too.

Gamertag - dominator246

07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I prefer the latter when it comes to TDs, but in all truth, both work well.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
07-19-2009, 11:55 PM
Make it about hippies who need to keep their psychedelic van safe from bears.

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2
07-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Haha, I was thinking roman battles would be cool and such. Waaaaay back in the day of swords and shields lol. Noone's tried it yet but it's just an idea

Gamertag - dominator246
07-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyaw3 View Post
Alright so thanks for the feed back on the original ideas for genres, and then narrowing it down, and while it was close between a TD and a TBS. I've figured that a TD is probably "easier" to make for now.

So, first question that I never really got an answer to, is in terms of order, do people like to click the UI, then click a cell to build a tower? or click the cell then show a menu to build a tower from?

the first generally means a persistent UI that has tower types on screen, second means it's only visible if you touch a cell

Any other comments on other things would be fine too, but I'm just taking this one step at a time
given those choices, i like the first option...click on a tower type, and then click on the terrain where i want to place...the tower isn't actually built until i lift my finger...this leaves me free to drag the tower to fine tune placement

...but we need a way to decide "oops, i didn't want that tower" and to not have it be built so we aren't forced to build a tower and can change our mind mid build
07-20-2009, 12:27 AM
tough competition................but you'll get a lot of good ideas here.
07-20-2009, 01:07 AM
I,ve played almost every td game on iPhone, things i like:
Fieldrunners style character, or very well developed characters
Destroyable scenario like The Creeps
Fieldrunners free path style
Upgrading weapons, as always.
Special level weapons, like The Creeps

And from my part:
Upgrading and customizing the base
Weapon fusioning, to make better weapons from 2 different ones.
Big bosses

And that`s all i can imagine atm lol
07-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Send a message via MSN to Jyaw3
Hehe, ya I'm well aware there's a lot of competition. I hope none of the current TD developers feel like I'm trying to show them up or anything :P

And so for the building controls, I figure, in toolbar,
1. tap tower I want, tap place I want, [tap on place again to confirm OR tap on different cell will cancel]?

2. or tap on tower, tap place I want, [tap on place again to confirm OR tap and drag to new place OR tap on different cell will cancel]?

And yes after the "tap place I want" (love my english?) I'll show the range of the tower so the player can see how it'll be, and other things

Josh Yaw - www.subtractionstudios.com
iPhone/iPod Touch Games
2 Block - Released! July 23
Fridger - Released Oct 6!
07-20-2009, 01:25 AM
lol, never thought flowcharting would be something i'd want to use...

I like #1, less steps, but I think to confirm building we could press on the tower icon:

-click on desired tower's icon
-then click and press on map where you want to place tower (tower range is displayed)

then you have 2 choices:
1. click on tower icon and tower is then built
2. click anywhere else on map and tower is not built

Last edited by Devilishly Good; 07-20-2009 at 01:29 AM.