Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM

Default Sqwords - (by Toy Studio LLC) [Universal]

Sqwords Lite: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sqwords-free-word-game/id658545328

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Sanuku; 06-27-2013 at 03:52 AM..
Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM

Default Questions?

Notes from Developer:

Sqwords silly name isn't it. Truthfully a name evolution from "Word Squares"

The game from paper to first playable was conceived through mixing and mashing the words in the English dictionary to create puzzles.

At the studio we wanted to create a native clean experience using as much of the device's technology as we could. Including Multi-touch, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Multitasking, Retina, etc.

With its physics engine we wanted to make the tiles feel as natural moving on a smooth surface a touch of collision and a jelly like touch for a bit of fun. Toss in some relaxing tracks from our resident audio expert and you'll be busting puzzles without even knowing it.

Sqwords is Free to try as we are giving away 90+ levels with Sqwords Free if you're looking for a quick puzzler to pickup for those patient moments. Add another 150 levels for a total of 240 for $0.99.

Always happy to answer any questions.

Checkout the trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by ToySoldier; 06-26-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I love word games, although there are way too many look-a-likes in that genre. This appears to be different from any I have played, so I look forward to giving it a try tonight when it releases. Thanks for offering a a Lite version to sample.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
I love word games, although there are way too many look-a-likes in that genre. This appears to be different from any I have played, so I look forward to giving it a try tonight when it releases. Thanks for offering a a Lite version to sample.
I know! We wanted to introduce something innovative in the word genre much like we did with Word Off! To our knowledge as well this has never been done before. Hopefully we did it well and to your liking.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Loved "Word Off!" (though I wish it had AI for a challenge) so I'll pick this one up to support a company that does some fun stuff with word games.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
Loved "Word Off!" (though I wish it had AI for a challenge) so I'll pick this one up to support a company that does some fun stuff with word games.
Definitely appreciate it try the Free version first and let us know what you think! We always want to be improving.

Btw, we added an AI to Word Off! a couple months back and may be worth a second look.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Game Impressions

Sqwords is an easy game to play: just try placing the various loose letter blocks into position to form valid English words in all directions. As the difficulty level in the game increases, the grid size gets larger and the game requires more tiles to be placed. I only found the puzzles to get interesting when I tried the final two difficulty levels, "Harder" and "Extreme".

The game's interface is fine, but I do have a couple of minor suggestions:

On the level completion screen ("You won!"), allow returning to the level selection screen without starting a new puzzle; perhaps by having the Continue button slide to a Level Selection button like the social buttons do.

The game supports Game Center, but I do not see any way to access GC from directly within the game.

Overall, I like Sqwords, but I don't love it.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I think the core of this game is a very solid concept, but it is occasionally hamstrung by word repetition in the larger puzzles. While I can imagine that it would be hard to avoid, it does take out a bit of the challenge when you have doubles of two words in one puzzle. But like I said, I can see how this might be hard to avoid, just because of how the puzzles are constructed.

I also ran across something a bit odd in the second "extreme" puzzle: I had valid words on the whole board, but my solution kept getting rejected until I'd switched a letter's position to form two other words. Nothing super bad, just strange.

Still, I'd definitely recommend a purchase of this. Yes the lower difficulties are only occasionally tricky if you're a word game vet, but the larger grids take some thought to crack and I think the devs deserve to be supported so they have the means and opportunity to keep refining the game.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM

Wow... Missed the update to Word Off! I will certainly bring that back, and I recommend that game to everyone who likes a good word challenge..

Played through Sqwords a little bit last night and really like it a lot. I do have a question about the timer that runs through the levels... Is there a reason for it? I'm not sure if we ever run out of time or if there is anything good about getting it done quickly. Right now I'm in the early stages and it doesn't seem to be dong anything and it's not the type of game that works with a quick time for "3 stars" type of game since once you know the answer you can always go back and do it super quick.

Just wondering about that part of things. If I come up with some suggestions I will pass them along.

But another great game from Toy Soldier.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpha View Post
I think the core of this game is a very solid concept, but it is occasionally hamstrung by word repetition in the larger puzzles. While I can imagine that it would be hard to avoid, it does take out a bit of the challenge when you have doubles of two words in one puzzle. But like I said, I can see how this might be hard to avoid, just because of how the puzzles are constructed.

I also ran across something a bit odd in the second "extreme" puzzle: I had valid words on the whole board, but my solution kept getting rejected until I'd switched a letter's position to form two other words. Nothing super bad, just strange.

Still, I'd definitely recommend a purchase of this. Yes the lower difficulties are only occasionally tricky if you're a word game vet, but the larger grids take some thought to crack and I think the devs deserve to be supported so they have the means and opportunity to keep refining the game.
Thanks for checking out Sqwords, we appreciate the feedback. The 5x5 boards do use some words multiple times, especially early on in the set. Like you said this is mostly a product of the words we were able to use in the formation. For future levels in potential updates we can definitely look into avoiding multiple words as much as possible.

As for the correct solution that was being rejected, if you could let me know the solution (or a screen shot) I can get that fixed in the next update. Feel free to email it to community@toystudio.com.

Thanks again for the feedback and glad to hear you are enjoying Sqwords! We appreciate the support.