Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Sanuku Sanuku is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 10,801
Default Sqwords - (by Toy Studio LLC) [Universal]




Sqwords Lite: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sqwords-free-word-game/id658545328


Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up


Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Sanuku; 06-27-2013 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:24 AM
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Default Questions?

Notes from Developer:

Sqwords silly name isn't it. Truthfully a name evolution from "Word Squares"

The game from paper to first playable was conceived through mixing and mashing the words in the English dictionary to create puzzles.

At the studio we wanted to create a native clean experience using as much of the device's technology as we could. Including Multi-touch, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Multitasking, Retina, etc.

With its physics engine we wanted to make the tiles feel as natural moving on a smooth surface a touch of collision and a jelly like touch for a bit of fun. Toss in some relaxing tracks from our resident audio expert and you'll be busting puzzles without even knowing it.

Sqwords is Free to try as we are giving away 90+ levels with Sqwords Free if you're looking for a quick puzzler to pickup for those patient moments. Add another 150 levels for a total of 240 for $0.99.

Always happy to answer any questions.

Checkout the trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by ToySoldier; 06-26-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 PM
slewis7 slewis7 is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,818
Default

I love word games, although there are way too many look-a-likes in that genre. This appears to be different from any I have played, so I look forward to giving it a try tonight when it releases. Thanks for offering a a Lite version to sample.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis7 View Post
I love word games, although there are way too many look-a-likes in that genre. This appears to be different from any I have played, so I look forward to giving it a try tonight when it releases. Thanks for offering a a Lite version to sample.
I know! We wanted to introduce something innovative in the word genre much like we did with Word Off! To our knowledge as well this has never been done before. Hopefully we did it well and to your liking.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:17 PM
QuickWit QuickWit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 532
Default

Loved "Word Off!" (though I wish it had AI for a challenge) so I'll pick this one up to support a company that does some fun stuff with word games.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickWit View Post
Loved "Word Off!" (though I wish it had AI for a challenge) so I'll pick this one up to support a company that does some fun stuff with word games.
Definitely appreciate it try the Free version first and let us know what you think! We always want to be improving.

Btw, we added an AI to Word Off! a couple months back and may be worth a second look.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:58 AM
slewis7 slewis7 is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,818
Default Game Impressions

Sqwords is an easy game to play: just try placing the various loose letter blocks into position to form valid English words in all directions. As the difficulty level in the game increases, the grid size gets larger and the game requires more tiles to be placed. I only found the puzzles to get interesting when I tried the final two difficulty levels, "Harder" and "Extreme".

The game's interface is fine, but I do have a couple of minor suggestions:

On the level completion screen ("You won!"), allow returning to the level selection screen without starting a new puzzle; perhaps by having the Continue button slide to a Level Selection button like the social buttons do.

The game supports Game Center, but I do not see any way to access GC from directly within the game.

Overall, I like Sqwords, but I don't love it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Jazzpha Jazzpha is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 703
Default

I think the core of this game is a very solid concept, but it is occasionally hamstrung by word repetition in the larger puzzles. While I can imagine that it would be hard to avoid, it does take out a bit of the challenge when you have doubles of two words in one puzzle. But like I said, I can see how this might be hard to avoid, just because of how the puzzles are constructed.

I also ran across something a bit odd in the second "extreme" puzzle: I had valid words on the whole board, but my solution kept getting rejected until I'd switched a letter's position to form two other words. Nothing super bad, just strange.

Still, I'd definitely recommend a purchase of this. Yes the lower difficulties are only occasionally tricky if you're a word game vet, but the larger grids take some thought to crack and I think the devs deserve to be supported so they have the means and opportunity to keep refining the game.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
QuickWit QuickWit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 532
Default

Wow... Missed the update to Word Off! I will certainly bring that back, and I recommend that game to everyone who likes a good word challenge..

Played through Sqwords a little bit last night and really like it a lot. I do have a question about the timer that runs through the levels... Is there a reason for it? I'm not sure if we ever run out of time or if there is anything good about getting it done quickly. Right now I'm in the early stages and it doesn't seem to be dong anything and it's not the type of game that works with a quick time for "3 stars" type of game since once you know the answer you can always go back and do it super quick.

Just wondering about that part of things. If I come up with some suggestions I will pass them along.

But another great game from Toy Soldier.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpha View Post
I think the core of this game is a very solid concept, but it is occasionally hamstrung by word repetition in the larger puzzles. While I can imagine that it would be hard to avoid, it does take out a bit of the challenge when you have doubles of two words in one puzzle. But like I said, I can see how this might be hard to avoid, just because of how the puzzles are constructed.

I also ran across something a bit odd in the second "extreme" puzzle: I had valid words on the whole board, but my solution kept getting rejected until I'd switched a letter's position to form two other words. Nothing super bad, just strange.

Still, I'd definitely recommend a purchase of this. Yes the lower difficulties are only occasionally tricky if you're a word game vet, but the larger grids take some thought to crack and I think the devs deserve to be supported so they have the means and opportunity to keep refining the game.
Thanks for checking out Sqwords, we appreciate the feedback. The 5x5 boards do use some words multiple times, especially early on in the set. Like you said this is mostly a product of the words we were able to use in the formation. For future levels in potential updates we can definitely look into avoiding multiple words as much as possible.

As for the correct solution that was being rejected, if you could let me know the solution (or a screen shot) I can get that fixed in the next update. Feel free to email it to community@toystudio.com.

Thanks again for the feedback and glad to hear you are enjoying Sqwords! We appreciate the support.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent