★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: BoXiKoN is FREE

07-20-2009, 11:02 PM
BoXiKoN is FREE

BoXiKoN | $1.99 | 2.6 MB

Quote:
BoXiKoN has been a popular Mac action puzzle game for some years now and is finally available for iPhone/iPod Touch! The game is very easy to learn; it will be love at first play! Simply rotate and place shapes into the grid to form solid connecting lines across or down. The solid lines are cleared leaving space to continue! Use your skills of organization and planning to ensure you never run out of space! Sounds easy? Give it a go!

Compete against others on the online High Score table!

FEATURES:
- Very simple to learn
- 20 Levels to work through
- Relaxed Mode (Take your time!)
- Up to 74 different shapes!
- Online Score Tracking and World Tables.
- Auto-save and auto-continue
- Uses multi touch for rotations.

My review:

BoXiKoN for iPhone is a new version of an old MAC/PC game made by Paul Burkey (Shoecake Games). The same developer that made CornerChaos (lite available too) that a few of us talked about here.

Visually BoXiKoN is simply perfect. Nice colors, textures, interface, animations and effects. It also has good sound effects. It does not have background music, it allows iPOD music but mutes the sounds.

The gameplay is very simple. You place the tetris alike tiles that you can see at bottom on the board. If you make a line (like in tetris) you score and the line is removed.

You can create a 3x3 (or more) blocks of the same color to transform those blocks into jewels. Removing lines with jewels assure you bonus points.

As you can see you have 5 slots at bottom. If the next tiles comes up an there's no room for it the game is over. You have some seconds before the next tile is added (try Relaxed Mode if you want a stressless game).

One of the greatest things about the interface is that the tiles at bottom are always rotating. Most of the time you can pick up a tile in the right position to place. If you change your mind you can use a second finger to rotate the tile. You can't flip it though.

In addition, when you select a tile it is automatically shift up so your finger doesn't get in the way. In resume, the controls are perfect.

The game has 3 timed modes (easy, medium and hard) along with a Relaxed one (timeless).

It can properly resume and loading times are short. Good!

There's an unified local high score for all modes. There's an online board too but you have to leave the game to see it. It's very detailed but the approach is limited considering e.g. OpenFeint.

That's a casual and very polished puzzle. I really like this one! 4/5+

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 07-21-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Typo
07-20-2009, 11:24 PM
oh look at all those pretty sparkle effects! wonder if this is good.. anyone try?

07-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleceiffel View Post
oh look at all those pretty sparkle effects! wonder if this is good.. anyone try?
Anyone else you mean, right?

I've purchased it and it's simply great.

The blue text is my impressions about it.

07-20-2009, 11:33 PM
oh sorry Carlos!! I skimmed it thinking it was a dev description.. thanks!
07-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I just played this and agree with Carlos that this game is great. The different modes gives a you a good taste of the difficulty and the relaxed mode is untimed. I have to say the way pieces are rotated is really smooth and pretty impressive because it feel natural. You would think creating completing lines would be easy, but not when the game provides different pieces in a variety of shapes and sizes. A bar acts as a timer to show when the next piece will appear. And, if you don't use the pieces and they fill up the fives slots below, the game is over once the bar fills up.

Another I like is the smart alec comment when you're done with game such as "disappointing score" or "unimpressive". It's a really well made game and this would get a 4 on the Albie Meter.
07-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I just played this and agree with Carlos that this game is great. The different modes gives a you a good taste of the difficulty and the relaxed mode is untimed. I have to say the way pieces are rotated is really smooth and pretty impressive because it feel natural. You would think creating completing lines would be easy, but not when the game provides different pieces in a variety of shapes and sizes. A bar acts as a timer to show when the next piece will appear. And, if you don't use the pieces and they fill up the fives slots below, the game is over once the bar fills up.

Another I like is the smart alec comment when you're done with game such as "disappointing score" or "unimpressive". It's a really well made game and this would get a 4 on the Albie Meter.
Good points Big Albie.

It's a simple puzzle but there are a lot of small details that make it very polished. The smart comment as you mentioned is one of them.

07-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I've had this game on my Mac for a long time now and, in all fairness, the only game I've played consistently during all that time. Trying it on the iDevice showed something I didn't think was possible, and that was to actually make it better..

I think this game is much more suited to finger controls, the transitions between levels seem slicker and there are small touches that add to the overall polish of the game such as when you tilt your device with the start screen is shown, the scrolling also changes to follow that tilt

It seems like my addiction has finally made it into another part of my life..

Boxikon? - Highly recommended
07-21-2009, 12:37 AM
i play it after see the review. what to say, its really wonderful, just like the review said, perfect!no matter the sound, the graphics, the screenshots... i love all of it!
07-21-2009, 03:58 AM
sorry wrong thread.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 07-21-2009 at 04:00 AM.
07-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Great game. I've played it on my Mac and now I am thrilled to see it on the iPhone. Get it. You won't be disappointed.