★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gravitations (Universal) Launched Free!

07-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Gravitations (Universal) Launched Free!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Subreddit

I initially developed this app in my spare time over the span of many months. Once it got to a pretty "complete" state I brought in the company I work for (a team of 8) to do the art and help with the final push of getting Gravitations complete.

The main motivational factor behind building this was to be able to see how people will use the tools I built in ways that I could never think of. There is no right way to make a mission and there are no expected solutions either.

The app is FREE and there aren't any in-app purchases. I want as many people as possible to be able to experience it and hopefully enjoy creating their own missions and playing everyone else's missions.

While art was being produced, I made a more action-oriented Explore mode that breaks the convention of you setting your path before you fly and instead lets you fly anywhere you want in the universe I made. I can picture this mode turning into a game of its own but for now it is just an extra in the puzzle game.

You can also play the entire game (minus Explore mode) on the web at GravitationsApp.com. Click "Play" at the top to get to the game. Any missions you make there will also show up in the iOS app for people to play, and vice-versa.

If you'd like to learn more before downloading it, we have a video we made for the Kiip Build Fund on that same website. Warning there is a really lame video of me walking through a sample mission at the end. We really should get around to making an actual gameplay trailer.

Any feedback is appreciated. I am really interested in what types of the missions were difficult to understand or just didn't come through very well in Flight School. I want to have everyone understand the few simple mechanics behind the game as easily and organically as possible. I know that can always be improved.

Thank you for your reading this. I hope you get your time's worth out of Gravitations,
Michael
07-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Just... For future reference... Kiip is a big no-no.

07-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Just... For future reference... Kiip is a big no-no.
Interesting to hear. We just heard of Kiip until the last few months of development and decided to try it out as it seemed like a win win for everyone. Just a negative experience for users in general or something more specific that I don't know about yet?

Thanks
07-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Well... When you don't care about their 'rewards', the 'service' acts more like intrusive ads than anything else.

Having the option to disable Kiip would be ideal...
07-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks.

Good suggestion. I'll get that option into the next update after the one that is already waiting for apple approval.
07-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
Well... When you don't care about their 'rewards', the 'service' acts more like intrusive ads than anything else.

Having the option to disable Kiip would be ideal...
Agreed. However, I have a feeling Klip pays out a couple cents for every redeemed or clicked on offer. Better than iADs...
07-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Agreed. However, I have a feeling Klip pays out a couple cents for every redeemed or clicked on offer. Better than iADs...
It pays out from around $0.15 to $0.50 for a redeemed reward so far from what I have seen. People redeeming rewards is another matter. The best one is just a straight up $2 Amazon MP3 credit with no strings attached. For whatever reason that is the one that gets the developer $0.50!
07-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSecondSeven View Post
It pays out from around $0.15 to $0.50 for a redeemed reward so far from what I have seen. People redeeming rewards is another matter. The best one is just a straight up $2 Amazon MP3 credit with no strings attached. For whatever reason that is the one that gets the developer $0.50!
That's strange. I would think that the coupons which don't entirely pay for anything would have a higher payout. Then again, Amazon has deep pockets; they'll subsidize and spend the hoohaa out of anyone to gain marketshare and tie people to Amazon.

I really dislike Amazon. All my gift cards? Can't use them for anything digital, at least not without tying my credit card to that one-click bull. I KNOW I'm impulsive; hence I don't attach my CC to ANYTHING.
07-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Great game - thanks for making it free. Really having some fun with trying to beat other people's times.

I agree with the comments on Kiip - it's annoying and fairly useless to most players. I recognize you need to make $$$ but I'd rather spend on IAP or watch video ads for currency if players want a free option. I'd even put up with Tapjoy over Kiip because Tapjoy is not in your face like Kiip, and at least I can use Tapjoy currency in the game, unlike a stupid Kiip coupon for cat food or toothpaste.
07-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
I KNOW I'm impulsive; hence I don't attach my CC to ANYTHING.
Lol this. I'm the same way,glad I'm not the only one