★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: You find yourself in a strange but familiar world. Malady has stricken the land and the local Monsters have become violent. Only by capturing and training these Monsters can you overcome evil and become the Monster Guru!

Monster Guru is an RPG that uses your phone's GPS to travel through the game. A beautiful hand-drawn world mirrors Earth and is filled with Monsters and adventure. Using your iPhone you can peer into this other world and capture and train your own team of Monsters.

Gameplay
Capture dozens of Monsters to help you battle
Every monster is unique
Battle your friends Monsters in Multiplayer
Quest to find more powerful Monsters and find out why you are in this strange world
Classic RPG storyline

A beautiful hand-drawn world
A massive world to uncover right in your neighborhood
100 different areas to find monsters and towns
Over 20 towns and locations
Soundtrack from the talented Steven R. Smith

Game optimized for your iPhone
GPS mirrors your movements in the game
No virtual buttons, just tap on menu items
Unlock over 30 achievements in Game Center

Every Monster is capturable in a unique way. Some monsters you may have to use an item, others you'll have to use a specific move. Becoming a Monster Guru will require you to learn what each Monster desires.

After years of development and a successful Kickstarter, Monster Guru is ready for release. Join in the adventure and see if you can become the Monster Guru!

NOTE: This game will run on iPhone 4 and above (currently iPad and iPod not officially supported, but we have had reports of it working on iPad). If you are using an iPhone 4, the graphics are adjusted so the game can still run. For best results use an iPhone 4S or above.
07-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Has somebody tried this yet?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

07-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I've tried it, but I'm a little biased. I'm the programmer from the game. If anyone has any questions I could answer them. I basically made the game I've always wanted on iOS. I think the battling and capturing monsters is the best part. I hope you guys like the game! I'm working on an update now fixing some small bugs, but if you guys have any suggestions let me know (either through the app "leave feedback" or here).
07-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I like the art style... And the screenshots give me a Pokemon vibe to it. Is screenshot 1 a battle scene?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
07-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Yup, screenshot 1 is a battle scene. Pokemon was definitely an inspiration for us, but it isn't an exact copy. Every monster is capturable in a different way, and through battling you figure out how to capture each monster. Some need a specific item, others need an amount of damage dealt or received. But the battling and moves will be familiar for Pokemon fans.
07-10-2013, 02:01 PM
The artwork sure is hand drawn which is awesome and a rare piece this days, the soundtrack as well is good that really matched the game. The first problem I encounter is it so mysterious in a sense I get lost at the very start of the game due to the lack of tutorial or maybe a little bit more introduction. I already faced three monsters but I have no idea how to catch them and the battle scene could be improved a bit (maybe instead of static try put a little animation on it). I played 10 mins and The pace of the game is pretty slow since I disable the GPS and it actually requires time to clear a portion of fog. I'll continue it tomorrow since I'm pretty tired now and quite late here already.
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zentatsu View Post
The artwork sure is hand drawn which is awesome and a rare piece this days, the soundtrack as well is good that really matched the game. The first problem I encounter is it so mysterious in a sense I get lost at the very start of the game due to the lack of tutorial or maybe a little bit more introduction. I already faced three monsters but I have no idea how to catch them and the battle scene could be improved a bit (maybe instead of static try put a little animation on it). I played 10 mins and The pace of the game is pretty slow since I disable the GPS and it actually requires time to clear a portion of fog. I'll continue it tomorrow since I'm pretty tired now and quite late here already.
Finding the whole thing a bit odd (and not in a compelling way) right from the start as well. Why the GPS at all? Why the slow movement and time limits? What am I supposed to do on an empty map square for two minutes? Why isn't there a way to disable the (quickly becoming annoying) scrolling during combat? Why are there no sound effects and extremely limited animations? Is there anything to combat beyond what I have experienced in the first 5 fights?

Frankly, I've "explored" four or five map squares and feel very little desire to continue.
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Finding the whole thing a bit odd (and not in a compelling way) right from the start as well. Why the GPS at all? Why the slow movement and time limits? What am I supposed to do on an empty map square for two minutes? Why isn't there a way to disable the (quickly becoming annoying) scrolling during combat? Why are there no sound effects and extremely limited animations? Is there anything to combat beyond what I have experienced in the first 5 fights?

Frankly, I've "explored" four or five map squares and feel very little desire to continue.

From the beginning it was designed with only GPS, but we realized that most people don't want to be walking around all the time. So the design is that you are rewarded for actually using GPS, but you can still play without it. From what I'm seeing though most people aren't using the GPS, so maybe I'll take out or adjust the limit in the next update.

There are more battles to do, and the hope is that the quests and capturing will drive you to explore more portions of the map while coming across new monsters.

Thanks for the feedback guys! We are a pretty small team (just me programming and my friend doing the art), so we had to make some cuts along the way. Animations are pretty basic, and the tutorial in the beginning isn't the best, so people are getting a little lost. But we'll try to add some of these suggestions into future updates.