★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Flying Aces- dogfighting game out now!

12-09-2008, 04:10 AM
Flying Aces- dogfighting game out now!

Here's the iTunes link.

Youtube link | Pop Up

UK price 4.99. Seems a little steep considering it is just dogfighting. It seems from the description there is nothing else to do but shoot other planes down. No missions. No ground targets. No landing (certainly not listed as a feature anyway).
So I am not buying it atm. For a little more you can get a lot more bang for your buck in games such as BIA and HOS.
Anyone gonna get it?

Last edited by salsamd; 12-20-2008 at 12:10 PM.
12-09-2008, 04:21 AM
Gameplay vid? The screenshots sure don't make me wanna buy it, they look dull and boring.

12-09-2008, 04:31 AM
nah - don't think so - at least not on the basis of the screenshots

for a mo I was thinking it was odd that a game boasting of being first iPhone dogfight game would have screenshots without other planes - and then I spotted the little arrows on screen and it seems like they might be the opposition planes rather than parts of the HUD

might change mind if a vid gets posted somewhere and it looks really playable (and the arrows become more like planes when you get closer (to be fair to developer - I suppose in modern warfare - other planes are rarely more than a dot before being downed so maybe the app is just more authentic than arcade style dogfights)
12-09-2008, 04:46 AM
I agree about the screenshots. If the dev wants to sell the game, they should have at least shown other planes in the sky.
Here is a 'sneak peak' of the game in development. That's all that's about atm I think...

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by salsamd; 12-20-2008 at 12:09 PM.
12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Flying Aces; simulation dogfighting with power-ups

Flight simulation lovers and arcade gamers alike will find this game to be very involving and fun.

It is Flying Aces and is available on the App Store for $7.99, if you wild like check out the developer SnakeHead Softwares website at: http://www.snakeheadsoftware.com

The game has two massive battle ground landscapes ;desert and sea. You will start out with basic a machine gun on your plane. Might I suggest using your headphones as the game offers 3d stereo sounds. You may also jam out to your iPod by starting your music then entering the game.

Once you enter the playing field you will need to read a quick set of instructions detailing just what you need to know to control your plane, weapons etc... The game is set up in waves of enemy jets, and the first wave is aslow level letting to adjust to flying using the accelerometer. Your view would be considered first person looking out into a beautiful 3d view of the landscae you have chosen. You also have cockpit hud gauges, controls and mini-map.

I am finding this game very detailed and fun. It isn't too hard,however the level interaction and reading your altimeter, locking on to enemy planes, even dropping flares to deter enemy heat seeking missiles is a very simulated experience.

An arcade aspect is present in how you obtain upgrades for your machine guns, missles, and thruster boost. You will find scattered around the playing area pick-ups that you can fly through. This in my opinion adds a unique element to this native game.

I have been in contact with Gerald Bailey founder and CEO of Snakehead Software, as the only element I have found missing is a calibration function (they are currently working on multi-player as states in description).

Graphics: 8/10
Sound:10/10 since u can play your own music
Replayability: 9/10 ESP. With coming inclusion of multiplayer.
Control: 9/10 my be a 10 with calibration.
Fun Factor:9/10 I love these type games!:cool

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
12-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Link

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299258444&mt=8

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
12-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Thanks salsamd don't think I can add that link from my iPhone

I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
12-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Thanks salsamd don't think I can add that link from my iPhone
You mean you wrote that review with the iPhone???
12-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah some typos sorry

Has anyone else downloaded this title? Check out the other reviews on the Appstore.

Last edited by rich_952000; 12-09-2008 at 10:44 PM.
12-10-2008, 02:39 AM
(threads merged)