Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-10-2013, 01:07 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
Hm... that was worrying, but now that I read it I don't think I will care. Sounds to me like the main issues are the stupid AI, inconsistent hit detection, and voice acting.

The inconsistent hit detection is all I can imagine being a frustration for me... I don't care about AI. In fact, I'm happy the AI sounds dumber than a box of taquitos. I was actually worried about AI in it on the touch screen... when there is smarter AI, there tends to be more panic on my end, and that's when the touch screen starts giving me so much trouble. Maybe the dumbness was intentional for that reason? Perhaps they turned it down just a tad low, though

The voice acting from the first minute of the video Sanuku posted did bother me, but I feel like the rest of it improved greatly as the video went on.

Truthfully, as long as the atmosphere and music are there, I will be fine. Ain't nobody got time for shooting down no 5/10 Deus Ex game. NOBODY!
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by heringer View Post
Aren't you unfairly discrediting reviews that will disagree with the likely 5 stars score the site will give the game?
Not at all, everyone's entitled to their opinion and your history with a game franchise definitely will impact how you feel about future installments in said franchise. I just think it's interesting. Jared is finishing his review now. This is his first Deus Ex game, and he really digs it.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-Kleine View Post
So:
"It's on a mobile device, please ignore all these issues"
?
That's what I wondered too. It's one thing if a reviewer has it out against the game simply because it's on iOS, but for a game that so clearly wants to be held up against its Human Revolution brother, why is it ok to overlook issues? Oh, because it's mobile and we're used to getting poor controls, AI, whatever. Please.

If a game has issues and people aren't willing to point them out it will just further the divide.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

...That feeling when you see you've only seen the game's TITLE, and you already know you get your seven dollars worth and more.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Anyone with jailbreak problems use ifile and assign the main app to mobile and set all permissions to read write and execute. Job done
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by runliketurtles View Post
That's what I wondered too. It's one thing if a reviewer has it out against the game simply because it's on iOS, but for a game that so clearly wants to be held up against its Human Revolution brother, why is it ok to overlook issues? Oh, because it's mobile and we're used to getting poor controls, AI, whatever. Please.

If a game has issues and people aren't willing to point them out it will just further the divide.
While it may be unfair, this kind of bias is seen in movie and television reviews.

Television shows are lauded and praised so highly when they feel like movies. Cinematic camera angles, witty writing, etc. etc. Conversely, movies are disliked for feeling like TV shows with cheap lighting and camera angles.

While logistically it doesn't make sense to pass off a game's flaws just because it's a mobile game, while it would be lambasted on a home console... psychologically it makes a lot of sense. We have come to expect a certain standard on mobile games, and they will continue to be held to that standard.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Well, what do you expect from a professional website that takes a broad view of gaming as a whole? As opposed to individuals with chronic gaming platform inferiority complex, ready to brand whichever next dull-witted, generic FPS comes along as "raising the bar"?
I'm sorry,but for who is this statement directed to??For which game also??This one??
Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Var > Mobile > Applications > Deus Ex > DXM.app > DXM (properties)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

It's kind of sad that reviewers can't just grade a game on it's quality as a game and just leave it there. Not in comparison to other games, just on it's own merits as being fun, bug free, and so on. Too much attention is put on platform and graphics.

Still, it's not like I'm even looking to reviewers for buying decisions. The mass of gamers here that are dedicated to iOS gaming are more important to me than a few people who often are fairly random from site to site posting their views between playing games on their PS3, 360 or whatever.

As for the AI issue, it seems to be a matter of contention. I've read posts on here that say the AI can be pretty ruthless if you mess up. It may not be perfect 10/10 AI, but it doesn't sound bad overall.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Should look like this :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.9 KB, 6 views)