★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: can we play adhoc games online ?

12-09-2008, 04:56 AM
can we play adhoc games online ?

I have seen various sites where this is possible with psp xbox etc. Does anyone know if this is possible with all the iphone local area network games as there is loads of them. Would like it to work on os x, linux
and windows etc.
12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Ad Hoc is really just terminology.

On the PSP, Ad Hoc is just making a local network using the PSP to create the network. When doing that, you cannot be online. Basically, your PSP has become a wireless router. Because the PSP has no other way to go online, there's no net connection.

I'm honestly not sure if the iPhone can easily do this. But because the iPhone has two different ways to get internet, in theory the WiFi could be the wireless network you jump on, and the Edge/3G be the internet connection.

But that is a violation of most carriers.

To make matters more confusing, when talking about the iPhone, Ad Hoc does not mean a wireless network, but instead a distribution method to put out software in an enterprise type setting.

Edit: Unless you mean using a computer to be a wireless router, then yeah. As long as there's a network to jump on you are golden.

I've made a lot of games. You've played them.
12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
I think what he means if you can create an ad hoc (peer to peer) wireless network with the iPhone. PSP/DS games don't need to connect to a router to play LAN games because they are able to create their own network.

I don't believe that the iPhone can create an ad hoc network. I've not seen anything that does it.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software (blog)
Author of CrayonBall and the popular Chipmunk Physics Library
Check out our new game Twilight Golf! Physics puzzles and dynamic shadows!
12-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Ok if that's what he's asking. I've not seen the iPhone create it's own Ad Hoc network, but I can't imagine it's impossible, from a technical standpoint. But it might not be allowed in the SDK.

I've made a lot of games. You've played them.