★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Thirty One - An exciting card game App

07-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Thirty One - An exciting card game App

Update 1/24/10: Thirty One has been nominated as one of the best card games of 2009 by 148apps.com! Please add your vote by visiting the following site: http://bestappever.com/v/crgm/322221531 , thanks! Also, Thirty One was voted the number 1 card game in Camzy's top 5 thread, check it out: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=31502. We now have over 2000 users on the leaderboards! In October Thirty One was featured in Apple's "What we're playing section" on iTunes. Thirty One was voted as one of Wired.com readers' favorite apps of 2009 and has recently gotten some great reviews, see the last couple posts for more info.

The exciting game of Thirty One is now available for the iPhone and iPod Touch! (You may also know Thirty One by another name such as Big Tonka, Blitz, Scat, or Cadillac)

Thirty One is a strategy based card game where you try to get your hand of three cards closest to thirty one (only cards in the same suit are added together). You play against two computer controlled opponents named Jack and Jill. You will have hours of fun trying to out smart them by holding cards you know they want, knocking when you think you have the best hand, and getting a blitz (a hand of exactly 31)!

Thirty One has many great features:
- Great single player gameplay
- Two computer controlled opponents
- Game is saved on exit or when interrupted
- Game can be stopped at any time then resumed
- Keeps track of game statistics
- Keeps track of in game credits you have earned
- Clean and intuitive interface
- Post your stats to Facebook
- Compare your scores with online leaderboards
- Daily leaderboard showing just today's scores
- Fun achievements that can be unlocked
- Listen to your iPod Music in game
- Thirty One is OpenFeint enabled

The direct iTunes link is: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=322221531&mt=8

Find Thirty One Lite here: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=330610827&mt=8

For more information the Thirty One website is: http://www.thirtyoneapp.com

Screenshots:

Last edited by lukeca; 01-24-2010 at 11:57 AM.
07-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Might give this a shot when I get home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer

07-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Thanks! Let me know what you think.
07-21-2009, 10:27 PM
alright and you just caught me right in time but I think I will use the code tommorrow or I'll just buy cause it's late here and yea I want to wake up fresh and ready to post a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer
07-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Thirty One just hit the top 50 card games! Here are some promo codes to celebrate:

7JT4K4TTP3XW
3N6666XYAAEA
4Y6TLNJYAY39
07-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeca View Post
Thirty One just hit the top 50 card games! Here are some promo codes to celebrate:

7JT4K4TTP3XW
3N6666XYAAEA
4Y6TLNJYAY39
Awesome, grabbed 4Y6TLNJYAY39. Thanks!

Twitter: @bgribin
07-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Used 7JT4K4TTP3XW. Might take a little time(too many games to review already ) but will leave a review asap. Thanx.
07-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for taking the time to check it out guys, I would greatly appreciate a review!
07-22-2009, 01:39 PM
lukeca,

Played last night and I think the game play is very good. Couple of things that would make it even better:
  • Sound effects (it's awfully quiet) - cards being turned over, a knock sound when someone knocks

Some animation to:
  • show a card being taken from the deck and into someone's hand
  • show a card being taken from the pile and into someone's hand
  • show the player discarding onto the pile (sometimes hard to tell if card came from the deck and discarded or from their hand, etc.)

Also, maybe make the AI tougher or offer two levels of difficulty. For example, if on the draw I have 20 or higher I will knock (odds are someone won't be able to beat me). The AI seems to wait too long sometimes.

Finally, a question: If the hand is over the deck, does this signify they are taking a card from the deck?

Last edited by RandyN; 07-22-2009 at 01:55 PM.
07-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

To answer your quick question, yes the hand over the card shows if they are taking a card from the deck, or if the hand appears over the discard then they are taking a card from the discard pile.

I guess I need to come up with a way to make it more clear, in early beta testing I had some of those same complaints. What I did in this version was use the hand icon you were asking about it. That seemed to help my beta testers, but of course they had me right there to help explain things.

For example, if it is Jack's move and the hand is on the deck then that means he is contemplating taking a card from the deck, once it is Jill's turn you will see what card Jack discarded as it will be the top card on the discard pile. If the hand is on the discard pile that means he is taking the card off the discard and again once it is Jill's turn you will see what card he threw down.

Also I wanted it to be somewhat close to playing with a real deck of cards. Usually when I'm playing with my friends if we take a card off the deck we put the card into our hand and then pick a card from our hand to discard (even if it is the card we just picked up) that way your opponents can't tell if you put down a card in your hand or put down a card from the deck. You are trying to hide from your opponents what suit you are going for so you want the discard pile to be the only clue they have.