Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-17-2013, 06:41 AM

Default Nuclear Outrun - (by Gamenauts) [Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by killercow; 07-18-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM

Looks interesting. Will check it out
Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I helped with the beta and this is a fantastic game! It just oozes with polish and quality. Everyone should give it a try, especially since its free.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:34 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Arrrgh you can tell i'm old ! I was all excited thinking this was some sort of sequel to Out Run the arcade classic !
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Nu-cular. Itís pronounced "Nu-cular".
Old 07-17-2013, 08:30 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Arrrgh you can tell i'm old ! I was all excited thinking this was some sort of sequel to Out Run the arcade classic !
**waves hand in front of psj and speaks in soft soothing tone**

This is not the OutRun you are looking for
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Nu-cular. Itís pronounced "Nu-cular".
In your best Homer Simpson voice. Lol
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEN View Post
In your best Homer Simpson voice. Lol
Damnit!
Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Everyone should download and try Nuclear Outrun, it is a quality polished game, it is apparently free but the true cost is probably closer to the price of the IAP coin tripler (in beta it was set at $4.99). I like this pricing idea that instead of purchasing a game at premium price you get a free trial edition and IAP a non-consumable item (likely restorable) to unlock the full potential. Your mileage may vary but at the free download level Nuclear Outrun is a near epic endless "runner" gem neutered with F2P model imbalance with upgrade paywalls. The gameplay is a blast and the beta hooked me in but even playing obsessively for a bit each screenshot shows dangling carrot on a stick items I was not able to attain.

Nuclear Outrun is a sidescrolling cart "racer" with some bouncy/floaty physics mechanics (like Baron Bike) and while you can't directly control your vechicle you must align projectile weapon shots to maximize damage or defensively neutralize threats. The vehicle physics have a fun bumper car type roughness to them splashing you around while zombies pop up from the ground and the sky. To attack tap the screen and projectiles will fire at that angle squashing anything in the path (so the strategy is to intersect as many threats in that line of fire), ammo is limited but capacity upgradeable. Each level is randomized and you select one of three weapons that you attain by running across weapon crates which automatically charnge your weapon. There's a lot of crazy randomness in the gameplay as well as the art design (it does feature flying robot dinosaurs). Things get very chaotic at times and my favorite nemesis was a jetpack zombie that launches slow moving but pesty heat seeking missles at you (those must be disarmed with attack, often while ground zombies swarm). There is a health status bar that depletes with each injury.

Nuclear Outrun has three types of upgradeables - vehicles, weapons, and characters/survivors. Survivors are unlocked by finding them in the playing field, weapons/vehicles are purchased through earned in-game money (or the currency game be IAPed, one currency). When playing I often found that I was able achieve about the same progress in each trial (about 1000M). It feels like the difficulty amps up around the 800M mark. Initially it's fun to unlock new survivors and vehicles but eventually the cost became prohibitive without IAP. The beta was fun and they may have rebalanced things since. There are occassional pop-up advertisements in addition to the F2P model. Nuclear Outrun is very polished and could have been a legendary endless game but is impaired by some difficulty imbalance and variety held back by slow accrual of funds without IAP. I can't confirm that the IAP coin tripler makes Outrun even better but assume it helps overcome some of the problems from beta.

Last edited by undeadcow; 07-17-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Old 07-17-2013, 09:13 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Here's a gameplay video from the Flash version:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Here's a link the free Flash edition of Nuclear Outrun:
www.begamer.com/flash-game/23859/nuclear-outrun

I can't access these on my work computer to comment on any differences between the Flash edition and the iOS version; aside from obvious graphic improvements and polish on iOS.