★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Well.. At Least It Had a Chance

07-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Well.. At Least It Had a Chance

Friend sent me this gizmondo article about the possible fall of good quality games on the appstore. It has been on my mind the past few days anyways, but I can forsee me buying less and less games since they will probably be involving less and less quality. I know this subject is constantly debated all the time, but whatever, it is a big ass deal for a lot of us who wanted the iPhone/iPod touch to be taken seriously as a gaming device. And I don't blame developers for being scared of putting hard earned time and money into projects that they feel will flop on the AppStore. I feel, and it really sucks, that the fall of the AppStore is because of majority of people would rather have 10 $1 dollar games vs. 1 $10 dollar game. Don't get me wrong, I love my .99 cent games but that's not all there is out there, and it leaves me wanting more. I don't mind shelling out a couple extra bucks for a game that will hold my attention longer than 30 minutes.

I don't know what do you guys think? I don't think the AppStore is going to ground out at all games ending up at .99 cents or anything anytime soon or anything like that, it just sucks when you know more and more developers are holding off/ canning more and more projects simply because they are afriad to invest in it due to the crowd-expected .99 cent price mark. It can never really mean anything good, at least for people like me who get inevitably tired of PC-Based flash games that you could probably find on the internet for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelperMonkey View Post
Conservatives hate liberals because they think that liberals think they're stupid.

Liberals hate conservatives because they think that they're stupid.
Win.
07-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booch138 View Post
Friend sent me this gizmondo article about the possible fall of good quality games on the appstore. It has been on my mind the past few days anyways, but I can forsee me buying less and less games since they will probably be involving less and less quality. I know this subject is constantly debated all the time, but whatever, it is a big ass deal for a lot of us who wanted the iPhone/iPod touch to be taken seriously as a gaming device. And I don't blame developers for being scared of putting hard earned time and money into projects that they feel will flop on the AppStore. I feel, and it really sucks, that the fall of the AppStore is because of majority of people would rather have 10 $1 dollar games vs. 1 $10 dollar game. Don't get me wrong, I love my .99 cent games but that's not all there is out there, and it leaves me wanting more. I don't mind shelling out a couple extra bucks for a game that will hold my attention longer than 30 minutes.

I don't know what do you guys think? I don't think the AppStore is going to ground out at all games ending up at .99 cents or anything anytime soon or anything like that, it just sucks when you know more and more developers are holding off/ canning more and more projects simply because they are afriad to invest in it due to the crowd-expected .99 cent price mark. It can never really mean anything good, at least for people like me who get inevitably tired of PC-Based flash games that you could probably find on the internet for free.
I may be pessimistic, but I have the same fear...we may be in the golden age of iDevice gaming. If people will only pay $.99 for games, we're going to be stuck with fart apps and idiot tests. I want premium games, and am willing to pay premium prices.

07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Same, It's coming to an end, and Apple, over all seems either clueless or truly apathetic.

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
07-22-2009, 10:53 AM
It all comes down to the appstore needing a way to show off the premium products, whether it is the premium games section or something else. It is in a huge need of a way to differentiate the the good from the bad.
07-22-2009, 11:02 AM
$0.99 does seem to be the new price benchmark, look at all the once-$10 gameloft games that have fallen to a dollar
07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
but look at the size and access to the market, and such a low barrier to entry

selling 99 cent games, you can easily sell 100,000 to a 1,000,000 copies if the game is even slightly worth it,
but if you pitch it at 9.99, you might sell 10,000 to 100,000
07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
exactly so that measn quality games wont come because the company wont make money out of it.

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Apple is said to be reworking the appstore category system for the top 100, implementing things like top 100 revenue. This should help
07-22-2009, 11:24 AM
I had a similar conversation with a developer just yesterday, and I have the same fear that everyone seems to have with the quality of games. It seems if you make a quality game and you even attempt to deviate from the $.99 model, you face an uphill battle which is really sad. When I read posts from others who rip into devs because they won't budge (I've seen plenty here in the TA forum), the long-term effect is that quality will be affected. Whether you're an indie or a large gaming company, you simply cannot devote resources to the iPhone/iPod Touch platform knowing the low potential ROI.

On paper, it's easy to calculate that you can make a profit based on volume. In practice, that's a difficult proposition especially when you consider how screwed the iTunes store is when it comes to marketing. Devs are responsible or should be for their own marketing, but Apple doesn't do them any favors either.

In addition, I think consumers of iTune games tend to be even more critical and more demanding than your typical gamer. Seriously, I see some outlandish demands for a game someone just paid so little for. It goes back to this sense of entitlement when it comes to price and what should be in a game. What dev needs that...and I'm afraid more are thinking "I don't".
07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
The iPhone and iPod touch currently aren't considered as serious gaming devices, and this view is being shared by both consumers and devs. Someone (or several people more likely) is gonna have to break the mold and release full-fledged games if the 99c barrier is to be broken, but I honestly don't see that happening.