★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Starship Battles (universal) $1.99 >> Free

07-19-2013, 02:03 PM
Starship Battles (universal) $1.99 >> Free

07-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Ouch another app/dev that burned me. Oh well, it's been a while since the last time

Soundcloud:
http://soundcloud.com/chris1a-1
Audiobombs (presets and templates for iOS synths):
https://www.audiobombs.com/users/ChrisG

07-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Another good game that deserved much attention but didnt. Sad to see it go free, but hey, everyone who doesnt have it can now play. :P

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
07-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Another good game that deserved much attention but didnt. Sad to see it go free, but hey, everyone who doesnt have it can now play. :P
Sorry - I should have created the Thread and mentioned that this is a weekend sale only.

There will be more content coming soon
07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

-nightc1
This gamer runs on premium games.
07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm loving it so far. Thanks for the freebie. One suggestion to the dev: could you add a indacator to show how much energy each weapon takes? Thanks.
07-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1a View Post
Ouch another app/dev that burned me. Oh well, it's been a while since the last time
When games go free often it's the developer who gets burned. They spent months making the game and I just downloaded it at no benefit to them.
07-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
When games go free often it's the developer who gets burned. They spent months making the game and I just downloaded it at no benefit to them.
Not true, they benefit and the future they may benefit financially from just downloading the game. Here's how:

First off, the game has IAP so there's always a chance you'll cave in and buy some because you like the game or feel bad for getting it free.

Second, they are looking to get bumped up in their ranking on the AppStore... so just the act of downloading the game is a benefit. Once a paid game goes back to being paid, those "free" downloads will still affect the the paid rankings in a positive way. The higher the ranking, the better chance more casual gamers will jump on board and I think casuals are the ones that blow most money on IAP.

Third, there's a chance when it goes back to being paid that you'll post about the game or talk about the game and that could lead someone else to buy it... especially if you post a nice 5 star review on the appstore. All those things affect the overall marketing. This of course only works if the game is good, but the dev must feel it is if they are willing to risk a boatload of bad reviews.

Fourth, for new releases... sometimes a dev really needs general feedback to fine tune a game. Rather than rely on the same group of people that beta tested the game through testflight or whatever, getting random people to post feedback is often very valuable. Those tweaks could end up making the game more attractive to others who will buy it.

... and that's just four ways that devs benefit from these free deals. You are pretty much becoming an unpaid member of their marketing machine even if you never finish the download and play the game.

-nightc1
This gamer runs on premium games.
07-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Well, it usually means it isn't selling well so that already sucks for the dev. But I still view temporary free sales as a way to maybe help get the word out and spur future sales. And if nothing else, if those who got it free like it, they may more apt to keep an eye out for their next project.

I only get upset if a dev is too impatient and does this after a week on the store (or even the same week!). That can sting for early adopters and bring more backlash than support.

EDIT: nightc1 beat me to it with a much more thorough response
07-19-2013, 04:09 PM
You have a capital ship on one side, fighting endless waves of capital ships on the other side sending out fighters and bombers that crash into your ship. You tap the screen to send out a barrage of various missles (reminisenet of missle command) to intercept and destroy each of the attacking ships. Upgrades can be purchased with minerals. Minerals are located in space, which you tap to collect. Gameplay consist of panning around with your fingure, defending your capital ship from attacking fighters and bombers, locating and destroying endless waves of enemy capital ships, while locating and collecting minerals.

It can get rather frantic as you are constantly swipping to pan the screen and tapping to send out waves of missle while also tapping to collect minerals. It takes about 3 swipes to get from one side of the screen to the other. I felt that this could have been implemented more smoothly, such as a tap and hold to pan.

This game has a bit of a Freemium feel to it, with its endless waves of enemies while trying to collect minerals can feel like a grind. I am not saying this is Freemium and that the implemented the IAP is required. More in depth gameplay would be required to make that determination.

Last edited by Morgan01; 07-19-2013 at 05:09 PM.