★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad Games like XCOM?

07-19-2013, 03:49 PM
iPad Games like XCOM?

I've just bought XCOM for the PC on the Steam sale, having never played that type of game before, and found I really like it. I know XCOM is on the iPad but the price is a bit steep at the minute, especially after said sale. I was hoping there might be other games like it on the iPad?

I was looking at War of the Zombie but from what I can see that's extremely buggy and quite broken at the minute?

Just gonna edit this and add a request for any games like Heroes of Might and Magic too? Discovered Eador: Masters of the Broken World on the Steam sale too and really like that.

Last edited by Avatre; 07-19-2013 at 03:53 PM.
07-19-2013, 03:57 PM
I heard Breach and Clear was Xcom like, it's a tenth of the price as well.

07-19-2013, 03:59 PM
I have looked at that but put off by the '15 missions' and also thought it might require too much thinking before even starting as I believe you have to choose where to enter etc.
07-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatre View Post
I have looked at that but put off by the '15 missions' and also thought it might require too much thinking before even starting as I believe you have to choose where to enter etc.
True. I'll have to think about more games.
07-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Here are some quality turn based strategy games like X-com (but many with a different setting) to consider: Kingturn, Tactical Soldier: Undead Rising, Aliens Versus Humans, Partia, Mysterious Castle, iWesnoth, World to Conquer, Tactical Warrior, etc. I think most of those are Universal optimized to iPad, but some may not be.

The closest thing to Heroes of Might and Magic on iOS is Palm Kingdoms 2.
07-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Well, nothing quite like XCOM because that is currently on top of its class, but here are some turn-based strategy RPGs you might be interested in (what i can remember):

War of Eustrath
Warhammer Quest
Hunters 1 & 2
Ravenmark
Tactical Soldier - Undead Rising
Final Fantasy Tactics
Spectral Souls
Blazing Souls Accelate
Great Big War Game
Rogue Planet

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
07-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Wait for the release of Shadowrun Returns...I have a feeling it wil be x-com's rival..I based this on the potential I saw from its trailer,just hope its does't disappoint..

Hopefully it drops by next week,just heard it was submitted for review...

"A whim, a thought, and more is sought. Awake my mind; thy will be wrought!"
07-20-2013, 05:51 AM
LOL on every thread I see that is like this, Exact-Psience is always there! Exact-Psience knows everything (except my secrets)
07-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceraux View Post
LOL on every thread I see that is like this, Exact-Psience is always there! Exact-Psience knows everything (except my secrets)
+1 to this
07-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Frozen Synapse differs a little, as it's not exactly turn-based, but as far as being an excellent strategy game goes, it's right there next to X-Com.