Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM

Default Boy(RPG) - Hurry to School

Old 07-20-2013, 10:57 AM

You can get a free code here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=197062
Old 07-20-2013, 11:22 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Looks pretty awesome, especially for a project made by only one person. Any plans on making it universal?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:06 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I got a promo code and after some playtime can recommend Boy(RPG) for RPG fans willing to overlook some flaws. Maybe it's just that I'm partial to indie RPGs but Boy(RPG) should not get overlooked if it sounds like something you'd enjoy. Boy(RPG) comes across as a ful fledged detailed labor of love, the type of game we would make if we could. Boy(RPG) satisfies a niche RPG absence on App Store by emphasizing JRPG exploration with random encounters and turn based combat with a unique card system. This obviously isn't a Square Enix game, or even a KemCo title, but for a one man development team stands out as well done given the limited resources.

The biggest setback is the art design, apparent in the screenshots, which tries it's best to be retro and quirky to some effect. Language seems compotent, the dialogue has occassional typos and despite the quirky content (initially about a possibly evil pen) seems very to the point without much personality and occassional engrish (i.e. "many bad news"). There's even a slight disclaimer attempting to use humor to excuse occassional bad grammar. There is a good sense of plot progression uncovering additional details as your progress.

Boy(RPG) is playable only in portriat mode with directional buttons along the bottom of the screen, the user interface is somewhat limited but functional. During town/store segments you walk horizontally across the screen and push an action button to interact with people/buildings (similar to Legend of Zelda II or NES era Castlevania) with smooth movement. In buildings/dungeons you walk in each of the four cardinal directions through a maze with random enemy encounters and visible perks (i.e. health potion for pick-up). The dungeon movement has a start/stop turn based feel but might be improved if it was continuous but is not uncomfortable. The dungeons are mazelike with environmental puzzles like locating triggers to open doors for progress or wondering around to find perks (like health potions). The dungeon background was simple but the layout detailed and well designed.

I didn't read the tutorial and found combat intuitive but there are likely details I am overlooking (i.e. physical versus magic defense, stats versus card values). The combat is a lot of fun but seems to depend somewhat on luck. Each round you have 5 cards. You can select cards to play for that round, usually limited to two. The cards are either defensive shields or attack swords/scepters that determine your approach to the enemy in a round. Some less common cards are combination attack/defense, buffs lasting more than 1 round, or critical attacks. The result of battle depends on which cards the enemy has selected (if you pick all strong attack cards but the enemy defends with both it will cancel [see blue bubble in screenshot 3], or at least weaken, your attack).

There is a level up component with maximum health points, strength, magic, physical defense, and magic defense components that increase in a pre-determined amount with each level up.

You earn coins in game by finding them in the "dungeons" and there appears to be IAP option for purchasing additional in-game currency ($0.99 for 2,500 coins up to $39.99 for 600,000 coings). So far the IAP does not seem necessary.

Overall worth a go especially if you enjoy dungeon exploration with a quirky plot. There's probably even more to the game I've not got to yet.

Last edited by undeadcow; 07-22-2013 at 03:16 PM..
Old 07-22-2013, 10:17 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1923 View Post
Thanks you!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 PM

This game is an excellent and very fun RPG. Retro graphics are a lot if fun to look at too. The combat system is simple but entertaining. The atory is weird and humorous. Well worth the play time! Give this a shot!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 AM

i like escape scene
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Im surprised that nobody mentioned the great soundtrack yet (the game has the skyrim soundtrack - 8bit version). Im pretty sure thats not legal... And there is also the Game of thrones theme song haha

Great game btw, really enjoying it.

Last edited by Primoz; 07-28-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Old 07-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Really enjoying this so far. Nice combat system and old school rpg feel to it but with lots of cool little touches.
Sad to hear the little speech from the dev that says it only sold two copy's.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
Sad to hear the little speech from the dev that says it only sold two copy's.
I am more worried about that 80000$ debt

Lmao... I was quite shocked when the adult mugger said to the 15 year old Boy: "Come on - Baby!". This is quite disturbing.

Last edited by Primoz; 07-28-2013 at 08:23 AM..