★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chain reaction games

12-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Chain reaction games

So far I've played both Boomshine and Bugz, and there is one called Chain Reaction that I haven't played yet. I am sure there are others...(or will be soon).

These games are simple fun and quite addictive to play. Boomshine is simple and slow, with a fantastic score playing in the background. Bugz is Boomshine on crack, much faster and frantic. Bugz has more levels and variations in the gameplay. Boomshine is the same thing from level 1 to level 12, the difference being more circles are on the screen and you need to get more of them to explode in the chain. In the beginning you have to pop like 2 out of 5, then on the hardest level you have to get like 55 out of 60. With Bugz there is more variation as the game goes on. First they add special bugz that have to be a part of the chain, then there is two of them, then they add random moving flowers that slow the bugz down when they touch, then they add another one, finally a time to start the chain reaction is added so you don't have time to look and think.

Bugzapps is both 99 cents, and Boomshine is too expensive at $3.99. Even though the concept is the same the gameplay is different enough that both games don't play the same. All things considered, Bugz is the winner based on the amount of levels (102) and that they mix up the gameplay as you progress. Plus Bugz has profiles, so you can have a few games in progress at once which is pretty sweet.

Last edited by nickels; 12-09-2008 at 03:28 PM.
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
sneezies is really good too, and its only .99

12-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Free Boomshine Flash version to see if you like this type of game:
12-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Sneezies is awesome!
12-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Sneezies is the better option

I haven't tried Boomshine so I can't comment on that game.

I've purchased and finished all the levels in Bugz. It is a very polished game, and there were lots of things that I liked about it (you can have more than one saved game, the asthetics are cute, it looks and feels like a professionaly produced game, the developer posted here and seems to be trying to do the right thing by their customers) but I found it too easy to play and I thought it was more a game of luck than skill. In the end I was bored and just randomly touched the screen. And I still finished all the levels pretty quickly.

It seems I have no control when it comes to apps. Even though I found Bugz too easy I still purchased Sneezies after I saw feedback that said it was more enjoyable and harder then Bugz (yes, I know, I have a problem when it comes to buying apps). Sneezies has held my attention a lot more than Bugz did. For a start there are two game modes, Classic and Challenge. There are also a range of backgrounds for each level. And when the game is over the screen is cleared with an action that is appropriate to the background. For example the winter background clears with snow blowing the remaining Sneezies off the screen, and the autumn background clears with fallen leaves blowing the Sneezies off the screen.

The basic gameplay involves the Sneezies who gently move around the screen while encased in a transparent bubble. In each level you touch the screen once to drop a burst of sneezing powder. Any Sneezie who touches the burst of powder before it fades away sneezes and this causes them to release their own burst of sneezing powder as they parachute to freedom. And the make a cute sneezing sound when they do this! With skill and some luck you will have a chain reaction which will free enough Sneezies for you to complete the level. And when a level ends you get a comment on your gameplay.

The Classic mode gets hard fast. You must free a set number of Sneezies per level. I'm stuck on level 27 (The closest I've come is 81 out of a required 84 Sneezies). Randomly touching the screen will not allow you to finish all the levels.

The Challenge mode gives this game more replay value. In the Challenge mode you have a total number of Sneezies that you must achieve per level. You are given a small number of turns/screens per level. If you free 75% of the Sneezies in a screen then you get another turn/screen. You get bonus points if you free all Sneezies of any colour. There are 10 levels in the Challenge mode and I am currently stuck on level 8 (I require 500 Sneezies). The turns/screens in each level of the Challenge mode also are varied. They start with a small level with fewer but bigger Sneezies and then you get more but smaller Sneezies (which makes it harder to free a lot of them).

There are a few minor issues with the game. One is that on some levels the Sneezies become very small and much harder to see. You also get messages in the Challenge mode when you clear 25% and 50% of the Sneezies on the screen but I don't know what those messages mean for my score (if anything). Oh, and my normal bug bear... you can't listen to your own ipod music even if you turn off the sounds in the game.

Nickels - Sorry - I've just realised I've "highjacked" your thread! I didn't mean to go on for so long!

Here is a link to Sneezies: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298155609&mt=8

I've attached a screenshot from Challenge mode level 8. This has a nighttime Sneezies background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sneezies.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	231  
12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
That wan't hijacking a thread, its contributing! Hijacking is if you went off about a game like Bike or Die 2 instead of staying on topic!

Thanks for the review, I have to check it out Sneezies now.
12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
I tend to waffle on and on so much that it felt like I was highjacking!

If you like chain reaction genre games then you will like Sneezies.
12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
I do not recommend Chain Reaction, Boomshine is much better. Every Extend puts all of these to shame. I'd like to see that in the App Store.
12-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I was tempted to buy boomshine about a month ago, but I waited, seeing as I thought it was too expensive for only 12 levels. I may have to check out sneezies, because I loved bugz and have beat all 102 (103?) levels at least twice.