★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

A year on, the general quality of games available is still poor....

07-23-2009, 06:45 PM
A year on, the general quality of games available is still poor....

A year ago, people had extremely high hopes for this platform on these boards. Many people believed that games would rapidly improve, to the point where a portion of the games would be on a par with true hand-held games consoles, as well as having a good number of cheaper games designed for short bursts. However, it seems that the success of low-risk, low-development .99 cent games has completely dominated the app store. The ratio of these style of games to fully fledged games is overwhelming. Aside from a few titles, Ronlandos, a few racing titles etc., nost games are severly lacking in content, and usually lacking in even short term entertainment. I haven't bought an appstore game for about 2 months. I've checked these pages every couple of weeks to check out the new releases. What I see always makes my heart sink. Endless poorly developed, shallow, gimmicky crap.

Maybe one day Square Enix will release a final fantasy game, or a big developer will release something more than a gimmicky piece of crap (RE, silent hill and MTG) designed to cash in on the name.

Maybe.

Until then, I'll stick with chess, tetris, and a few other half decent games amongst the piles and piles of manure.
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I agree. It's late and I can't be bothered to elaborate.

07-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Here are some more recent games that I would definately pay $20 for on DS:

-Stone Loops of Jurassica
-Isotope
-Galaxy on Fire
-Knights Onrush
-Starhogs (Snails)
-Secret of Monkey Island SE
-Bounce On
-3d Brick Breaker Revolution
-Fast & Furious
-Ragdoll Blaster
-Puzzlings
-Castle of Magic

Okay, a few are not really new, but I was looking for more unique game (Games like Pipemania are on DS).

Just my $.02
07-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I see what you mean. All of my games are simple casual ones, not any "big game" from a big developer because they all suck
07-23-2009, 09:21 PM
There's tons and tons of great games. And there're all a buck. How could anyone be complaining. Most of the DS's best games are casual games as well.

Check out Harbor Master, or every variant of Tower Defense known to man.
07-23-2009, 09:30 PM
That's a load of crap. $.99 games are actually on a higher risk because there are so many of them. Supply and demand. We've actually come a long way from day one if you've been paying any attention to this stuff at all. Chess and Tetris? What about all of the actually good games on the appstore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootbean View Post
I see what you mean. All of my games are simple casual ones, not any "big game" from a big developer because they all suck
You gotta be kidding me... What about NgMoco? What about Gameloft or Eurocenter or Appex? THQ AND EA?! Or Capcom for that matter? There are rarely ever any $.99 games I have interest for, but there have been a lot of great big games.

Edit: what else do you consider as a gimmicky, piece of crap? I'm almost afraid to know.

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2

Last edited by CaseyLay; 07-23-2009 at 09:37 PM.
07-23-2009, 09:37 PM
So true...I really hoped for the App Store to evolve more than it has - oh well.

Also, you said Ronlandos .

/l、
(゚、
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ Inconspicuous Group Cat?
07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew2468 View Post
So true...I really hoped for the App Store to evolve more than it has - oh well.

Also, you said Ronlandos .
Exactly how much evolution were you hoping for?

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2
07-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLay View Post
You gotta be kidding me... What about NgMoco? What about Gameloft or Eurocenter or Appex? THQ AND EA?! Or Capcom for that matter? There are rarely ever any $.99 games I have interest for, but there have been a lot of great big games.

Edit: what else do you consider as a gimmicky, piece of crap? I'm almost afraid to know.
Guess I thought too quickly and overlooked some. Still big games I got like Rolando and the games I've gotten from Gameloft and EA never appealed to me. Some are great, but the majority aren't greatly done
07-23-2009, 10:28 PM
That, to me, is like saying after thousands of years the mass majority of people on earth are still not well educated. Well that may be true because there are billions of people. That isn't to say there aren't very intelligent people in places doing great things.
There is such a huge amount of games and apps that any average is going to look really bad, but there are some really great games out there. Real Racing, Rolando, Zen Bound, Flight Control, Mecho Wars, F.A.S.T, Flick Fishing, and TTR that, while not incredibly engaging or long, are very good for all having less than a year of development.
I am tired of all the complaining about the appstore quality. I think it is on the rise even as the prices drop. People have been too quick to judge and we just need to wait it out a bit longer.