★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Android Multiplayer & Samsung Chord SDK Free UK Developer Day

07-30-2013, 07:50 AM
Android Multiplayer & Samsung Chord SDK Free UK Developer Day

Hey everyone (especially those in the UK) I've just seen this about Samsung's new multiplayer SDK Chord and the free developer workshop they are doing in Manchester next week and thought it may be of interest to people. Hopefully I'll be able to go myself as I think it will be cool to learn about getting greater multiplayer integration into Android gaming as I do think it's something that is definitely a growing area .

Link: http://www.100percentindie.com/chord/

Thoughts?

Anyway hope this is useful
07-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Does Chord work across all ICS and above devices or just Samsung devices? As if so, I've got a really good possible application for it in my current game

Edit: By chance, I'm wearing one the t-shirts these guys were giving out for free at develop conference. I dunno if I can make it over to Manchester on short notice (trains take about 3 hours since they're doing work at Notts train station)

Last edited by James Coote; 07-31-2013 at 09:29 AM.
07-31-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure if I'm honest from what I can make out it is used for device to device connection in a peer to peer way I suppose like the PSP and Vita's Ad-Hoc? Also I think Samsung are starting on their devices and then rolling it out on all Android platforms but can't be sure. Sort of why I was interested in the event oh and because it's free!

I know what you're saying though with Nottingham as I have family there and I know it can be pretty bad with the work . I was at Develop too did you enjoy it? I was pretty impressed if I'm honest.
07-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Dude View Post
I know what you're saying though with Nottingham as I have family there and I know it can be pretty bad with the work . I was at Develop too did you enjoy it? I was pretty impressed if I'm honest.
I did enjoy it, though I went to the indie day, whereas I'd probably have enjoyed the marketing day more if I could have picked one day to go.

It was also nice as I got to chat with other developers I don't get to see too often (since they all live down in London). In fact, arguably, that was more valuable, since the talks didn't really produce any great epiphanies for me. (The exception was a really good talk about Project Management and Creative Risk. I kinda wonder sometimes if I'm not in the wrong job )