★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "Thanks for the support and feedback from you awesome players! We will keep the free download for all of you to enjoy!"

"Lightning Fighter 2 is a perfectly competent shoot em up that is more approachable than most of its peers." - 148Apps

"Lightning Fighter 2 has intense combat action, along with vibrant colors and visuals that will keep you on the edge of your seat." - App Saga

Update! Lightning Fighter 2 is bringing new city stages to the game! Hop on your new fighters and protect the cities from invaders!

Nobody knows why the aliens came to destroy us. But one thing is certain: their power is unmatched. Despite the brave resistance of the human race, the struggle was all in vain. Soon the aliens ravaged the earth and all we had was the last stronghold and one hope: a powerful core obtained from an alien battleship with the sacrifice of millions of soldiers. Installed with the alien core, Lightning, the prototype super fighter, is the only hope to save the world. Will we fail or will we prevail? Our destiny is up to you.

The new Lightning Fighter 2 comes with:
Fully upgraded HD graphics and gameplay
Lightning fighter won't fight alone! More super fighters to build in game, each with 3 powerful weapons and special attacks of its own
Exciting combat experience against countless enemies and raining bullets across 10 different battlegrounds from ocean to space
Great gaming atmosphere with unique soundtracks for every stage
Epic encounters against multi-phase transforming bosses featuring old-school danmaku style combat with brand new, challenging bullet patterns
New equipment system enables you to charge up powerful gears to strengthen your fighters against the enemies.
Bronze, silver and gold ranks suitable for both beginners and experts!
Support iPhone 5 and sync with iPad HD version

YouTube: http://youtu.be/6ujOkoGyC9U

Visit Us: www.uwan.com.tw
Like Us: facebook.com/uwanstudio
Follow Us: twitter.com/uwanstudio

strivemind's comments:

iPad version: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id634846689

Official Trailer:

07-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Great soundtrack (hopefully that's ingame) and it looks like a fantastic shmup. Im about to eat lunch and i hope someone could say Relative Touch.

Else i'll just TOFTT later when i get back.

Wasnt really a shmup fan before, but SV made me a follower of bullet hell. I hope what i see in this video is easy mode or something.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

07-31-2013, 12:33 AM
Statment: Oh! iCade support, no? BTW, there is a HD version for iPad.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
07-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Yep, this is the long-awaited sequel to Lightning Fighter.

Controls are relative touch, and at least on the iPad version the ship moves slightly faster.

There are IAP for both gold and gems. Gold is used to unlock new ships, and both can be used for various power-ups (which will definitely create a bit of pay-to-win for score chasers). Sadly the biggest issue here is the cost of unlocking the extra ships: without excessive grinding, you're looking at $30 to unlock all 5.

Graphics are fantastic and full retina on the iPad.

As E-P mentioned, the soundtrack is indeed great and also available to purchase through iTunes.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
07-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Great soundtrack (hopefully that's ingame) and it looks like a fantastic shmup. Im about to eat lunch and i hope someone could say Relative Touch.

Else i'll just TOFTT later when i get back.

Wasnt really a shmup fan before, but SV made me a follower of bullet hell. I hope what i see in this video is easy mode or something.
The first LF game was pretty easy in any mode. But since score was based heavily on what you had left, including continues, it was more of a high score thing than something most people wouldn't expect to beat. It was also pretty long, so they had time to increase the difficulty slowly.

I'm surprised they were able to make this 46 megabytes; pretty sure the first is more than 100.

Last edited by smegly; 07-31-2013 at 12:37 AM.
07-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Thanks Strive and Smegly. Now im not sure about getting this one.
07-31-2013, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by currymutton View Post
Statment: Oh! iCade support, no? BTW, there is a HD version for iPad.
Please icade if no icade.

EP, the old lightning fighter used to be one of the best non cave shmups there was.

I've talked to this dev alot about this game, while I have not played it, I can probably put my reputation on the line and say itis good.

Buy it, if not good, I will promise to refund you 100% with another promo code.

The dev is cool all, please support him.

Edit: extra ships are that much? There was that cost in the first game, but $30? Well that is not good, but the game should be good, just don't buy extra ships then. Go for it EP!!!!!

Last edited by Connector; 07-31-2013 at 01:55 AM.
07-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Please icade if no icade.

EP, the old lightning fighter used to be one of the best non cave shmups there was.

I've talked to this dev alot about this game, while I have not played it, I can probably put my reputation on the line and say itis good.

Buy it, if not good, I will promise to refund you 100% with another promo code.

The dev is cool all, please support him.

Edit: extra ships are that much? There was that cost in the first game, but $30? Well that is not good, but the game should be good, just don't buy extra ships then. Go for it EP!!!!!
Agreed, great game from great devs.

And yes the IAP to unlock aloof the ships is $30, or you can unlock them by earning gold in-game.

The first ship costs 15,000 to unlock, and it increases exponentially from there, with the last ship costing 500,000 gold. Going through Bronze, I was averaging 1000 per level, with around 2500 on the last level. That's a lot of grinding if you want all of the ships!

Edit: I'm averaging about the same gold in Silver as in Bronze, although the difficulty is quite a bit higher.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind

Last edited by strivemind; 07-31-2013 at 02:09 AM.
07-31-2013, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Thanks Strive and Smegly. Now im not sure about getting this one.
Alright, now that I've played THIS one--and am now #2 on the Bronze leaderboard (3 now because of Strivemind )--I have to say the fundamentals have changed a lot while, at the same time, there isn't much content change.

Basically, it's more like an HD version of the first game with more music tracks (levels used to share tracks with some other levels) in addition to the ones in the first game. There are also three more ships which you can now earn with coins rather than pay a dollar for each new ship. The enemy patterns and boss attacks are a little different I think, but it's basically the same game.

Here's where it gets weird though. In the original, it was pretty much following the Cave standard where you had some bombs for each life and you could get more bombs and more lives as you played. Here you get two lives, period, and scoring has nothing to do with how many lives you have left or how many bombs left. Bombs acted like an autoshield too.

In this edition. You don't get anything in the game except coins. You can spend coins at the beginning of the game to get up to three bombs, three autoshields, which are separate and more expensive, and three instant charge attacks which don't require waiting for the charge. You still have normal charge attacks too.

The problem is that when you die, you don't get these refilled nor can you buy more of them, so if you buy three autoshields and you have two lives, it's six hits and the game is over basically, instead of 12 hits for your starter and the two extra ships like it was before and there's no way to extend that except . . .

Continues are gem purchases. Your score doesn't reset after a continue either, which I hate unless like, in the previous game, you were rewarded for not continuing. Gems also can be used to buy coin magnets and coin boosters that last one playthrough. Thing is, you only get gems by spending real money. You start with some gems, but you won't get any more of them.

So ultimately, it's a harder version than the first one if you ignore the gem aspect. The coin cost for the bombs and all that is low enough that you can buy that all and still make plenty of coins to unlock more ships.

I'd rather they just HDed the first game and kept it as it is, frankly, although I do slightly prefer this game for the few additions it has despite the bad implementation of auto-shielding.

Last edited by smegly; 07-31-2013 at 02:47 AM.
07-31-2013, 03:22 AM
Game Impressions

HD Gameplay Trailer added to OP.

Last edited by Sanuku; 07-31-2013 at 04:52 AM.