★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New AirCoaster update with arcade game, compass support, etc.

07-24-2009, 02:10 PM
New AirCoaster update with arcade game, compass support, etc.

Yesterday, Apple approved our latest update to AirCoaster, which contains tons of major new features.

The two main ones are:

1. A mini arcade game (with spatial 3D sound!) that you can play on any roller coaster track. I put that in for folks who aren't into designing and building stuff and just want some quick arcade action.
Click image for larger version

Name:	game_mode.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	5779

2. Compass support for all you lucky 3GS owners. This is the feature that Blake wrote about here: http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/25/de...-view-control/

Btw if you haven't updated your AirCoaster in a while, or if you previously deleted it, download the latest update and tell me what you think. It's changed a LOT since v1.0.
07-24-2009, 02:20 PM
This looks great I've had this since v1.0 and can't wait to try this update out

07-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Heh so what do you think? Would love to get some feedback on the arcade game-in-a-simulator concept.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a bad idea to release an OS 3.0-only update at this time. Looks like there's still a large number of Touch users who haven't updated.
07-25-2009, 04:13 PM
That looks pretty damn good. How much does it cost though. Ok ok. I m going to check my self.

brb.....
EDIT: Only 99cents for those grafix. How do you guys even make any money.

Anyways I was wondering how long it'll be before u get bored of just sitting in a virtual rollecoasster. Creation of new tracks is good but most probably you'd get bored with that too. What is that arcade mode game you added in this update. Any one tried this please explain what tell us what that arcade game is am all about. ame

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 07-25-2009 at 04:36 PM.
07-25-2009, 04:15 PM
graphics look cool
07-25-2009, 04:21 PM
The game mode is a nice touch, though a little bland in that afterthought sort of way. Not that I expect some sort of deep and involving gameplay in a roller coaster simulator or anything, though let's face it, turning it into a Roller Coaster Rush style game would be awesome.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah -- I've pretty much gotten the same feedback about the game mode from other places. Oh well, at least I gave it a shot and learned a lot about game sprites and OpenAL 3D sound positioning in the process!

For the next update, I'm focusing on a much better track editor: more types of maneuvers, better visualization and manipulation tools, etc. Looks like I've got a core bunch of folks who really like to build stuff with the app, and I gotta make them happy.