★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games where music influences the gameplay?

08-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Games where music influences the gameplay?

I know of Beat Hazard. Are there any others? Not exactly sure how to search for these on Google or what the genre would be called, so I'm asking here. I have over 400 songs on my device so any kind of music generated game would give me tons of replay value

Edit: And by music, I mean the game uses your own songs, not a rhythm game like Beat Sneak

Last edited by Bronxsta; 08-07-2013 at 04:26 PM.
08-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Synesthetic? Its a psychedelic endless something. Not sure with the spelling, though. You can search all of the games you want in google.

08-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceraux View Post
Synesthetic? Its a psychedelic endless something. Not sure with the spelling, though. You can search all of the games you want in google.
I'm just not sure exactly what to search for. Music influenced games? Is there an overall name for this kind of game that I can search for?
08-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Yeah beat hazard is my favorite.

I have others like synthensic (spelling?), supersonic, boost 2, and some others that are pretty good too)

Another really fun one that is really old is a old Chillingo game called CS One, I think it is iphone only, but was a classic in its day and is worth a try. Fun dual stick shooter with itunes music.
08-08-2013, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
I'm just not sure exactly what to search for. Music influenced games? Is there an overall name for this kind of game that I can search for?
Search it like 'musical games'. Google will pretty sure show some resultsmthat are connected to rhythm games but you can still find some 'music influenced games' in there. And yeah, synesthetic got my bet.
08-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Song Summoner from Square Enix. One of the first original games on the appstore i think.

Uses your MP3 files to create your units. Then you battle them tactics style.

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Yeah beat hazard is my favorite.

I have others like synthensic (spelling?), supersonic, boost 2, and some others that are pretty good too)

Another really fun one that is really old is a old Chillingo game called CS One, I think it is iphone only, but was a classic in its day and is worth a try. Fun dual stick shooter with itunes music.
Thank's for the recommendations. I didn't know boost 2 did this, I've only played the lite version though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceraux View Post
Search it like 'musical games'. Google will pretty sure show some resultsmthat are connected to rhythm games but you can still find some 'music influenced games' in there. And yeah, synesthetic got my bet.
Sounds cool. Thanks
08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Space Invaders: Infinity Gene will generate levels based on your music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Beat Blocks was/is a Match-3 game that uses yr music library to influence gameplay. It looked promising but was promptly removed from the AppStore because it crashed on startup. I think they're working on a fix.