★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

promo codes are out of control

07-25-2009, 07:37 AM
promo codes are out of control

/rant on

as i logged on tonite, i noticed that a fair amount of games had promo codes.. so i logged on said threads, and of course all the codes are gone. i then noticed while looking thru past promo code threads that certain people are always getting these codes. they must camp on here 24/7..

1) that's not fair system. why should peeps that hang out here all day long get 'free' games? it's not like they just get one. i keep seeing the same names posting that they got a code...

2) some of us work, and can only check every so often. this means you have to have a very large amount of luck to pop in and have a thread with promo codes just entered.

3) i suggest that the idea of promo codes be talking about amongst devs and people smarter than me to come up with an acclimate system for everyone.

now, i'm not all pissed about this. im not some riled up tween or twenty something. when you see that a few people get all the free games they can muster by 'camping' on this board, well, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

i know devs use promo codes to get free advertisement; esp from devs that don't have the cash like NGMOCO or chillingo, or EA to promote their games.

honestly,i don't know what can be done if anything at all. it just makes me sad that a few work the system and take away from everyone else....

/rant off
07-25-2009, 07:43 AM
So, if you're a dev, would you rather give a code to someone who 'camps' here and likely plays games a heck of a lot more than someone who spends most of their time at work? Do you complain when people buy a product that has a good sale on Black Friday because you were too uninterested to go there 6-10 hours before the store opened? Why should developers accomodate to people who don't want to put the extra effort into obtaining a code. If you want them that bad, then 'camp' here too.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper

07-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renton View Post

it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
"As the actress said to the Bishop."
07-25-2009, 07:58 AM
This must be a joke.

You can get free meals everyday if you hang out at Costco, sure, but the cost is being cooped up in a warehouse everyday. Most of us, act like adults and just buy the food we want to eat.

Yes, it's nice to get something for free from time to time, but we're not owed anything. I don't see how these threads keep constantly arising. What is so difficult to understand about this concept?

With promo codes, it's all about being at the right place at the right time. Any sensible person will realize how big TA's audience is. It's obvious that 20 codes will go quickly when you understand there are thousands of eyeballs vying for them. This isn't about "lurkers" or the "same people who camp out here all the time." It's simply a matter of a TON of people grabbing at the same prize. Just be glad in your supreme annoyance that you won't wind up trampled to death.
07-25-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm at work all day and I "camp" more then most people here, BTW don't you have an iPhone or an iPT? If so I believe there is an icon called.... ummm.... Oh here it is, Safari... Oh cool copy and paste?!? How could a web browser on the go help me get promos?.... Hmmmm.... I wonder?...

/rant off

Gamecenter:1337brian
07-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337brian View Post
I'm at work all day and I "camp" more then most people here, BTW don't you have an iPhone or an iPT? If so I believe there is an icon called.... ummm.... Oh here it is, Safari... Oh cool copy and paste?!? How could a web browser on the go help me get promos?.... Hmmmm.... I wonder?...

/rant off
my biggest complaint is when I post codes under redeem in iTunes app, it crashes back to the springboard
07-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Another thread about this?? This topic has already been discussed ad nauseum in this forum.
Developers can choose to dispense--or not dispense--promo codes however they see fit. No amount of whining is going to change that.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ighlight=promo

07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Its the developers choice on how he/she distributes them...Oh well if you dont get any, life sucks at some points, sorry to tell you that but its the thruth.

EDIT:

Look at gekkota's post it explaings everything
07-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renton View Post
/rant on

as i logged on tonite, i noticed that a fair amount of games had promo codes.. so i logged on said threads, and of course all the codes are gone. i then noticed while looking thru past promo code threads that certain people are always getting these codes. they must camp on here 24/7..

1) that's not fair system. why should peeps that hang out here all day long get 'free' games? it's not like they just get one. i keep seeing the same names posting that they got a code...

2) some of us work, and can only check every so often. this means you have to have a very large amount of luck to pop in and have a thread with promo codes just entered.

3) i suggest that the idea of promo codes be talking about amongst devs and people smarter than me to come up with an acclimate system for everyone.

now, i'm not all pissed about this. im not some riled up tween or twenty something. when you see that a few people get all the free games they can muster by 'camping' on this board, well, it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

i know devs use promo codes to get free advertisement; esp from devs that don't have the cash like NGMOCO or chillingo, or EA to promote their games.

honestly,i don't know what can be done if anything at all. it just makes me sad that a few work the system and take away from everyone else....

/rant off
It is not worth it to camp and hope to get a 99c game. Go work for couple hours and youll have more money to buy more games than a "camper" could ever dream of.
07-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreEricXXX View Post
my biggest complaint is when I post codes under redeem in iTunes app, it crashes back to the springboard
Yeah I know, it's so damn frustrating.

Don't hit redeem, hit that blue button on your keyboard, it never crashes from that.

Plus I hate it that you have to tap the redeem code window, wait like 5 seconds, THEN you can enter it, THEEEN you have to say "yeah, I wanna enter my password". It's just stupidly designed.

back