★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

F.A.S.T. Makes A Million Dollars in 6 Weeks!

07-25-2009, 10:59 PM
F.A.S.T. Makes A Million Dollars in 6 Weeks!

From article on Techcrunch.com by Michael Arrington:

Quote:

Another data point that profitable businesses can be built on the back of the iPhone/iPod Touch app store: Social Gaming Network’s F.A.S.T. dogfight game, which launched in early June and lets users try to shoot down other human players, pulled in over $1 million in download fees alone in the first six weeks it was available.

SGN is clearly trying to find the revenue-maximizing price for the game - it has varied from $9.99 (the price I paid in June), to just $1.99 today. The game will eventually allow paid-for upgrades to weapons and jets when the new version comes out as well, which will bring in more dollars from addicted users.

This is an extraordinary game and certainly not representative of the average revenue from other paid apps in the App Store. But it also isn’t even currently on the top list of paid apps, and it continues to pull in substantial dollars, spiking, we hear, to as much as $60,000 per day.

SGN is also planning to license the basic platform engine that they created to build F.A.S.T. to other developers as well, who can create their own interactive games.
Link to article
07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Does SGN deserve it? Indeed they do
07-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
Does SGN deserve it? Indeed they do
I agree, I just didn't realize the game was that successful
07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
I never could figure out what there name was, and now it makes no sense. What a switch off. Cheers for the dev with the best mmo in the store!!!

Playing: N.O.V.A., NFS:S, CoD:Z, CoI:WoL, TTR3 (so many abbreviations!)
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I think more of the developers have hit numbers like this before but most don't want to release the sales data. They all want you to think that they can't make any money at the lower price points. The point is they want to make even more money. Like I have always said this is a new market where lower prices are offset by higher volumes. I do agree some higher prices will be needed for games that are of PC size and quality but not imitators that have a high price but lack content. I think eventually the amount of game Mega/Giga bytes will be used as one of the gauges of what is a $9.99 game. The only one I have seen that was even close was a true port of Myst. Myst was never one of my favorites though.

Last edited by Rad; 07-26-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: added Giga I didn't want to be too limiting :)
07-26-2009, 12:24 AM
This game is awesome. It's just like a real dogfight simulator. I haven't been doing too well on it lately. I keep getting in fights with guys 300 points over me. And my fate is usually sealed after I get into a stalemate. But it's still a great game. It's one made to appeal to more hardcore gamers.

Recent purchases: Pac man CE, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Mecho Wars, and Chaos Rings.
Upcoming Games I plan to get: Splinter Cell, GoF2