Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Default Telekinesis Kyle by Vellum Interactive [Universal, FREE]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 08-14-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Well, this Portal/Psychonauts-inspired (in terms of narrative and characters more than the actual central gameplay mechanic) puzzle-adventure game is easily Game of the Week thus far, certainly out of the dross currently available. The game has 27 levels, of which the first seven are free, with a $2 unlock IAP to access the rest of the game. The first seven levels were rather short and easy, though, so I'm not sure how much things ramp up after that point, and the game seems as though it'll be over far too quickly unless things become a lot more involved.

The game has a couple of rough edges, including an embarrassing "Development Build" tag in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, but the production values are otherwise respectable and it scores points for not being just another runner, match-3 or tower defense game. Unless something major comes out, this'll likely be the best of another bad week.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Yeah i'll get this one. Got really fond of puzzle platformers lately.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Free; 156MB download.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Quote:
Kyle is a nerdy, awkward kid with one special talent: Telekinesis. Help Kyle solve puzzles and navigate through a sinister mountain fortress to uncover an evil secret! When Kyle’s telekinetic powers were discovered, he was sent away to what he thought was a school for gifted children. The ‘school’ turned out to be nothing more than a front for a secret military experiment. Help Kyle escape his captors and reach freedom by using his amazing ability to make objects move. Master the art of telekinesis to solve puzzles and evade guards, fire, lasers and other thrilling deathtraps!
Features include:
* Play free before you buy! Play the first seven levels to learn how good you are at helping Kyle use his telekinetic powers!
* Beautiful, console-quality puzzle platformer with a new type of game play mechanic that uses your mind!
* Level up by completing the puzzles, but do it quickly and you’ll get more game center achievements!
* 27 unique levels with in-game video and story-line throughout.
Help Kyle escape a prison and maybe even save the World!

Last edited by undeadcow; 08-14-2013 at 09:16 AM..
Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I beta tested Telekinesis Kyle and found it to be enjoyable. I've never been a huge puzzler fan but it pulled me in. Kyle is a slow moving sloth of a guy so the platformer nature of levels is slow paced, your objective is to navigate him over obstacles to the end of the room. He can automatically jump if there is an object in range but he will only jump to about his eye level (requiring pathways be positioned accordingly). He has telekinetic powers allowing you to manipulate most everything in the room to form platforms he can jump on, operate levers, pressure pads, etc. There is a meter that gauges how much telekinetic ability Kyle can use at one time (he's no superhero who can just whirl everything in the room with his mind, lifting one box will tax him making him unable to sustain multiple objects beyond a point). The telekinetic limitations add more depth to the environmental puzzles. The art design is nice, but plot pedestrian.

In beta IAP was disabled but it appears there will be a one time charge to "purchase full story."
Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

^I imagine Kyle's like the female character in Ico, but one who's learned to use some limited mind powahz.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
I beta tested Telekinesis Kyle and found it to be enjoyable. I've never been a huge puzzler fan but it pulled me in. Kyle is a slow moving sloth of a guy so the platformer nature of levels is slow paced, your objective is to navigate him over obstacles to the end of the room. He can automatically jump if there is an object in range but he will only jump to about his eye level (requiring pathways be positioned accordingly). He has telekinetic powers allowing you to manipulate most everything in the room to form platforms he can jump on, operate levers, pressure pads, etc. There is a meter that gauges how much telekinetic ability Kyle can use at one time (he's no superhero who can just whirl everything in the room with his mind, lifting one box will tax him making him unable to sustain multiple objects beyond a point). The telekinetic limitations add more depth to the environmental puzzles. The art design is nice, but plot pedestrian.

In beta IAP was disabled but it appears there will be a one time charge to "purchase full story."
I beta tested as well, and the game is pretty fun. The comic cutscenes and voice overs are a nice level of polish/quality. I do feel that the puzzles could be a bit more challenging, and wish that the platforming was a bit more intense - the automated jumping breaks platforming immersion a bit. However it all does come together in a fun and entertaining package.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Gah, I wanted to like this and I do but it falls short of greatness, unfortunately. It didn't take long to finish the full game, and the puzzles didn't even start getting interesting until the last couple of levels. The plot and characters are definitely inspired by Psychonauts, and while there's not much to the story, it's entertaining and fits into that Adventure Time fluff mould. There's a bug in the final comic, however, which replays a series of panels instead of showing the correct ones.

It's very important to tightly plan and script puzzles in a game like this, but with quite a number of the puzzles here I felt like I could just do whatever and still make it through; more than once I'm pretty sure I found loopholes that let me entirely bypass the solution the designers had in mind. The range of puzzles is also far too limited: the game teases with hints of fire and water, but then spends far too much time on the simple gimmick of moving floating crates around and jumping from one to the other in order to cross gaps.

The game ends with a setup for a sequel, and I do hope the developers succeed with this first game, but I have a feeling the indie flaws might be showing through a little too glaringly. I feel they could probably stand to revise and rejig a number of the levels and puzzles in an update in order to make the game a bit more challenging and take advantage of a wider range of tools, obstacles and puzzle types.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:16 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Default Telekinesis Kyle Update

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback here! We just pushed through an update that should fix some of those bugs. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on our project!

- Vellum Interactive
Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellum Interactive View Post
Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback here! We just pushed through an update that should fix some of those bugs. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on our project!

- Vellum Interactive
Welcome to TA!
Vellum can you tell is there any necessary IAP. I can get it until it hits the US App Store.