★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Stephen Luce
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 2.9 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Aliens have invaded the Earth and have stolen our aircraft. It's your job to blast those aliens out of the sky.

Alien Hijack is a fast paced classic style arcade shooter.

* Apollo Command Module outfitted with missile launchers
* plenty of action
* lots of power-ups
* golden alien coins
* easy to use control system
* built in instructions (yay!)

You blast your way through wave after wave of bomb dropping aircraft. Only to be hit by ever growing squadrons of UFOs trying to take you down with nano-viruses.

You try to catch power-ups that can turn your ship into a guided missile blasting arsenal of freedom!!!!

Catch gold coins to upgrade your ship.

Hours of fun!!! Hard to put down!

Runs at a full smooth 60 frames per second on all newer iPads and iPhones. (Runs at 30 FPS on older iPads / iPhones, but still very playable.)

Stephen Luce's comments:
Hi Everyone. My name is Stephen Luce. I have just released my first iOS game. Its called Alien Hijack.
I have been a professional software developer since 1983, but this is my first commercial game. A friend of mine suggested I announce the game here on touch arcade. So here I am.

Alien Hijack is a fast paced retro arcade style shooter.
Its got the layout of Galaxians with the players ship at the bottom and the bad guys attacking from above.
It has the free movement of Centipede only more so. You can move your ship anywhere on the screen.
The game is set in the sky. The bad guys are UFOs and airplanes (which have been hijacked by aliens, hence the name). The player's ship is an Apollo command module that has been outfitted with rocket launchers (using reverse engineered alien nano tech, of course).
The bad guys drop bombs which you can shoot or dodge. They also drop power-ups and coins. There are 4 types of power-ups.
1. Homing Missiles - cause your missiles to track the bad guys
2. Triple Shot - lets your ship fire 3 shots at a time
3. Rapid Fire - doubles your firing rate
4. Missile Ring - fires a ring of missiles in all directions.
Power-ups 1, 2 and 3 stack for awesome firepower. (Missile Rings are awesome enough on their own.)
Just to make things fun the aliens sometimes drop "nano-viruses". You can't shoot the nano-viruses. You have to dodge them. If you get hit with a nano virus it will infect all of your power-ups and turn them into nano-viruses.
But all is not lost. You can trade in the useless nano-viruses at the "power-up shop" for coins which you can use to buy more power-ups and extra ships.
I really like the control system I came up with. (I think it is unique. But I could be wrong.)
The player's ship has a control circle below it. To move the ship you just drag the control circle around. This has a few advantages. You can move the ship as fast as you can move your finger. This is a big help when dodging tons of bombs. Secondly, since the control circle is just below your ship, your finger does not obscure your view. Also handy when dodging bombs. To pause the game all you have to do is lift your finger.
I really hate "button masher" games where you have to hit the fire button till your fingers cramp up. So Alien Hijack uses auto fire (like centipede).
It was designed for the iPad. But it is a universal app and works great on the iPhone and iPod Touch too.
Anyway, this is getting a bit long, so I will end it here. But please check it out. It only 99 cents for now. Till I can figure out how much to charge. Let me know what you think.
I would also be curious to know if any other touch game uses the same control system I use.
08-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Promo Codes

Aline Hijack is now free. Give it a try. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Stephen Luce; 08-26-2013 at 07:59 PM.