★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Features App Store Needs

12-10-2008, 01:56 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 263
Features App Store Needs

I am mad at the app store for not having simple features. Or maybe they do have them and I just don't see them? Can I search just the app-store and not all of the itunes store? So I only find apps.

I want to bookmark apps! You should be able to bookmark apps you liked, and keep tabs on them. A quick list of all bookmarked apps, their current price, and version would be SO useful.

Lastly, how do you link to apps in the store? I can't figure it out.
12-10-2008, 02:43 AM
#2
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,351
If you just go to the App Store and then search, doesn't it come up with just the apps? (I mean don't search from the iTunes Store homepage, but first really get into the app store).

Bookmarks indeed isn't possible I believe...

If you're on the product page of a game/app, right click the name of the product and it should say something like "Copy iTunes link".

I don't have iTunes open right now so this is just from the top of my head.

Stefan

12-10-2008, 04:13 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,175
Searching for apps is best done on your iPhone/Touch in the App Store, or just search and click the box that has apps in it.

Bookmarking would be good, That is what AppSniper does, its quite handy
12-10-2008, 04:33 AM
#4
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
Posts: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
Can I search just the app-store and not all of the itunes store? So I only find apps.
Unfortunately, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
I want to bookmark apps! You should be able to bookmark apps you liked, and keep tabs on them. A quick list of all bookmarked apps, their current price, and version would be SO useful.
Again, unfortunately you can't, but what you *CAN* do is bookmark the webpage for any app or game on the App Store on this website:
http://www.appshopper.com
Also, this website has a search feature, so it could help you out with your first point above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualAlex View Post
Lastly, how do you link to apps in the store? I can't figure it out.
Find the app you want, right-click on it, and select "Copy iTunes Store URL". Then paste that link wherever.

Website: www.NotHowItLooks.com Twitter: @BrettArchibald
Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
12-10-2008, 04:42 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Berlin/Germany
Posts: 946
One must say that these errors belong to the iTunes Store at all, not only to the AppStore part of it.

What bothers me more is that you can only buy apps, but not put them into your basket case.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
12-10-2008, 04:53 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 263
yeah what the heck, Apple needs to GET THE LEAD OUT! Let's move!
12-10-2008, 08:32 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 775
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
AppStore needs genius! And price sections so that not all the cheap shit apps go to the top selling list. Needs to be at least four lists seperated into different price sections.
12-10-2008, 08:59 AM
#8
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 218
I reckon they need to redo the categories - or at least have more sub categories

eg. app store/games/sports/golf
app store/games/arcade/platform game
app store/travel/language
app store/travel/guide

and minor tweaks shouldn't bring apps back up to the top of the category lists (where the newest apps usually get placed) some apps are permanently at the top of the lists for no good reason

oh, and the 'New' section on the main apps page should perhaps have more er .. '"new"' apps and not just be another 'Featured' section

Last edited by menom; 12-10-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: my crap typing skills
12-10-2008, 09:11 AM
#9
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by menom View Post
and minor tweaks shouldn't bring apps back up to the top of the category lists (where the newest apps usually get placed) some apps are permanently at the top of the lists for no good reason

oh, and the 'New' section on the main apps page should perhaps have more er .. '"new"' apps and not just be another 'Featured' section
Agreed on both those points.
Updates to an app shouldn't make it jump the line so to speak as this encourages some developers to consistently "update" their apps *cough*bootant*cough*

Also agree that the "new" section is ridiculous. There are "new" apps that have been released for weeks if not months. If it can't be updated on a daily basis, at least a weekly basis....but the way it is, as you say, is just another 'featured' section.
12-10-2008, 09:17 AM
#10
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
If you just go to the App Store and then search, doesn't it come up with just the apps? (I mean don't search from the iTunes Store homepage, but first really get into the app store).
Who said no to this? Go to the iTunes store and on the right under quick links click on power search. In the next window under power search set the dropdown from "All results" to "Applications". THen put inwhat your looking for and hit search. Done.