★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Entwickler-X
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 86.1 MB
  • Version: 1.02
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: MACE is a classic space shoot 'em up, inspired by the legendary Amiga games of this genre. Handdrawn 2D graphics in HD resolutions, parallax scrolling, explosion effects and optimized games mechanics, combined with the proven gameplay are transporting the "Spirit of Amiga" in today's Age.

Gameplay:
In MACE, the player navigates a spaceship across three different worlds with 6 vertical scrolling levels and various enemies, trying to destroy or avoid them. Hidden items (weapons, bombs, energy),
upgradeable weapons and accessories, such as rocket and companions help to defeat the enemy in difficult battles.

Features:
- 3 different worlds
- 18 levels
- 3 big end bosses
- endless waves with unique enemies
- 3 difficult levels (easy, normal, hard)
- 3 gfx details for lower and faster devices
- fantastic gameplay for many hours
- brilliant handdrawn graphics
- 30 minutes epic soundtrack
- Achievements
- online highscores
- 15 different weapons (5 types, 3 upgrades each)
- additionals: companion, rocket, shield, smart bomb
- hidden Items für weapons, lives, energy, rocket, companion, bomb

Definition M.A.C.E.:
Military Alliance of Common Earth
Founded after the first alien invasion on earth in the year 2054. M.A.C.E. is the epitome of the new cohesion of all peoples of the earth to fight against the aliens to serve life on earth in a military path.

History:
While heavy fights rages on earth against incoming alien ships and the M.A.C.E. units are to prevent the construction of additional land bases for the alien ships, a group of specially trained fight pilots whith space warships try to prevent the arrival of more aliens and distroy the alien mother ships and troops of aliens.

Your mission:
Fight in an exceptional space mission by foreign galaxies to prevent the arrival of more alien swarms on the earth. Your spaceship is one of the first one which is built by people using alien technologies
including engines, weapons and shields to survive against the aliens.

M.A.C.E. - the ultimate space shooter !

Programming: Frank Menzel
Graphics & Levels: Thomas Claus
special thanks for greate Music: Sascha Theel sascha.theel@web.de

TouchArcade Bot's comments:

08-17-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm on it. You can't just say the word "Amiga" like that! Hopefully it'll be great.

08-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Vertical shmup in landscape mode?

Looks good in the screenshots. Cant wait to read the verdict MC!

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
08-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Statement: Another game with iCade request written all over it.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
08-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Looks great but I don't know why the dev doesn't mention the control scheme in the app description. Because of that i'll wait till I hear impressions
08-17-2013, 11:38 AM
The controls are pretty much like those in Sine Mora and Abyss Attack. They're not 1:1 "instantaneous touch", but they work fine. It's odd though. If you tap anywhere on the screen, the ship will move to that location...so you have to make sure to only have one finger on the screen (apart from either of the buttons on the two sides) at all times otherwise you risk accidently "teleporting". The controls are alright though.

I'm on the fence with the game, to be honest. I'm trying not to come to a verdict before finishing off the first world, but I like some things, and others not so much. The graphics are lovely. Even though the first world is blue, it's immediately warm and inviting. The powerups are nifty, the gameplay's solid, in theory we should have an instant winner here...but I'm finding the levels to be incredibly long. There's nothing that has separated the first 4 levels other than a couple of different enemy types so far, and I'm somewhat sitting here thinking "Sheesh, I hope later stages are more varied!". I'm gonna plow at it...I have to get to the second world and the first boss fight before deciding what I think of the game. The other thing is...the music is starting to get on my nerves. It's not a really short loop or anything, but it's starting to sound like one. I'm gonna turn off the music as soon as I'm done typing this and try playing again.

If anyone's willing to spend $2 on a solid shmup with no IAPs in order to give others a second opinion...go for it. Like I said, the only thing bothering me is the length of the levels.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"
08-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
The controls are pretty much like those in Sine Mora and Abyss Attack. They're not 1:1 "instantaneous touch", but they work fine. It's odd though. If you tap anywhere on the screen, the ship will move to that location...so you have to make sure to only have one finger on the screen (apart from either of the buttons on the two sides) at all times otherwise you risk accidently "teleporting". The controls are alright though.

I'm on the fence with the game, to be honest. I'm trying not to come to a verdict before finishing off the first world, but I like some things, and others not so much. The graphics are lovely. Even though the first world is blue, it's immediately warm and inviting. The powerups are nifty, the gameplay's solid, in theory we should have an instant winner here...but I'm finding the levels to be incredibly long. There's nothing that has separated the first 4 levels other than a couple of different enemy types so far, and I'm somewhat sitting here thinking "Sheesh, I hope later stages are more varied!". I'm gonna plow at it...I have to get to the second world and the first boss fight before deciding what I think of the game. The other thing is...the music is starting to get on my nerves. It's not a really short loop or anything, but it's starting to sound like one. I'm gonna turn off the music as soon as I'm done typing this and try playing again.

If anyone's willing to spend $2 on a solid shmup with no IAPs in order to give others a second opinion...go for it. Like I said, the only thing bothering me is the length of the levels.
Exact my thoughts.

Important also, the ship stays always above your thumb. NOT ideal, since some of the ships still shoot from below, so you really can't see them coming. Gets you some cheap hits.

If the two bucks don't hurt you, get it. It has its charm and, imo, a very nice colored art style. And yeah, the music, i turned it of after ten minutes.
08-17-2013, 10:23 PM
A pretty, but humdrum shooter that quickly becomes tedious. Played through to level 5, shooting the same small handful of enemies through the overlong stages. Never saw a boss, nor any indication of a change of pace. I've got better things to do.
08-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp View Post
A pretty, but humdrum shooter that quickly becomes tedious. Played through to level 5, shooting the same small handful of enemies through the overlong stages. Never saw a boss, nor any indication of a change of pace. I've got better things to do.
I'm going to have to agree with this guys opinion, it just didn't liven up at all.. the gameplay remains the same and turns into a turn off and move on to something else kind of game.
08-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Played up to the 2nd level of the 2nd world before I had seen enough. :/ Shame.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"