★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Endless Arcade Games with Combat?

08-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Endless Arcade Games with Combat?

Hi guys... I have been looking at my games on both the 4S and the iPad Mini (actually looking for ones to delete for Asphalt 8) and realized that some of the games I enjoyed too much are endless arcade-type games that actually inludes a combat system.

That said, i am looking for titles i may have missed or deleted before. Here are some criteria of the games i am looking for (sorry if it's too specific, but it helps me on my search... THANKS!):

1. Must control only 1 character.

2. Must be in third person, where you can see your character, and NOT first person like Attack of the Spooklings or Pocket Ninjas.

3. Main character whom you control must be a being and not a vehicle.

4. Must have an arcade feel to it.

5. Must be ENDLESS. Or at least feel endless like in the case of Gunslugs (random areas make it feel somewhat an endless game, especially with the score system at the end of each run)

6. No runners. If it is a runner, it must be more combat-oriented and less of a runner (e.g. Crazy Bill, where speed doesnt scale, but moves forward for progression)

7. No Dual Stick games. Not even a 360-degree stick + button setup like Quadropus Rampage or Minigore's auto-aim mode.

8. No SHMUPs (because they're a genre of their own already)

So here are some of the games i already have on my folder with these types of games, but i want more :

Crazy Bill
Slayin
Knightmare Tower
Scorched Monster
Game of Watchcraft
Spellsword
Muffin Knight
Super Crate Box
Mutants
Zombieville 1
Gunslugs

Thanks!!!

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword

Last edited by Exact-Psience; 08-17-2013 at 04:28 PM.
08-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Can you clarify the word "endless"?

I mean if a game has levels, is it endless?

Sometimes people say endless means no level or stage selects, some say games like Polara are endless runners.

Some of the games you mentioned have levels I think, just wanted to see what you define as "endless".

A strict interpretation of endless means starting from the beginning and will never end until you die. Do games with clear levels and stages count here?

Last edited by Connector; 08-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.

08-17-2013, 05:38 PM
You also say no endless runners but combat ones are ok.

Does a game like Blood Roofs count?
08-17-2013, 05:51 PM
The currently free Ninja Striker is a fun little game.

Oh, forgot an obvious one: Punch Quest! (Obviously a runner but pretty concentrated on combat)

Last edited by awp69; 08-17-2013 at 06:21 PM.
08-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Is melee combat ok? Combo Crew is pretty good, has levels and an endless mode, unlockable moves, and is going to be updated with a Capcom character
08-17-2013, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Can you clarify the word "endless"?

I mean if a game has levels, is it endless?

Sometimes people say endless means no level or stage selects, some say games like Polara are endless runners.

Some of the games you mentioned have levels I think, just wanted to see what you define as "endless".

A strict interpretation of endless means starting from the beginning and will never end until you die. Do games with clear levels and stages count here?
Having levels are not endless, but i think my definition can be loose because of Gunslugs and Scorched Monsters. I just played scorched monsters and just realized it isnt endless at all.

Polara is initially NOT an endless runner, until you unlock the endless levels. But of course it doesnt have combat so it doesnt belong here.

For the sake of the list, what im looking for are games with an endless mode at least... I guess some exemptions can be made. Im just making a folder with these great arcade games that i wholly enjoyed, and am looking for something similar.
08-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
You also say no endless runners but combat ones are ok.

Does a game like Blood Roofs count?
Blood Roofs lack the arcade feel to it.
08-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
The currently free Ninja Striker is a fun little game.

Oh, forgot an obvious one: Punch Quest! (Obviously a runner but pretty concentrated on combat)
I've had a bit of fun with Ninja Striker since release, but it's far from being endless.

Yeah, i can add punch quest to the list. It's combat heavy, and it isnt all about gaining speed to ramp up difficulty.
08-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Is melee combat ok? Combo Crew is pretty good, has levels and an endless mode, unlockable moves, and is going to be updated with a Capcom character
Good call. Forgot it had an endless mode, and the single screen does give it an arcade feel.
08-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Don't know if you've tried - Hellgore. But I think it's combat/endless type waves of enemies. See what you think. Quite an unknown game, but cool.