★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Magic Chain + Lite -Fast Paced Action Puzzle Game

07-27-2009, 03:32 AM
Magic Chain + Lite -Fast Paced Action Puzzle Game

Price-$1.99/£1.19

Magic Chain is a fast paced action puzzle game for the iPhone and iPod touch!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Meet Tabitha, a cheerful witch-in-training. She is stuck on the wrong side of the forest - the kind of place you fly a broomstick through with the windows rolled up - and it is up to you to bust her out with a combination of magic and wits!

In Magic Chain you build chains out of approaching enemies. Big chains bring in serious points but to pull them off you'll need to be on your toes! The theory is simple but the results are chaotic and it will take fast decisions and swift fingers to make it out unscathed!

* Story Mode with 13 varied and challenging stages
* Beautiful illustrations tell Tabitha's story
* Endless Mode puts your chaining skills to the test in an all out highscore assault
* Over 200 hand drawn sprites
* Original music score throughout the game

Designed specifically for the iPhone, Magic Chain is easy to play but full of strategy. With its simple and intuitive gameplay Magic Chain is perfect for a quick session, and deep enough to play for hours.

Last edited by THE STUD; 07-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
07-27-2009, 03:34 AM
hm? wonder how the gameplay works

07-27-2009, 03:40 AM
http://www.witchbeamgames.com/magicchain/tips.shtml

Not really helping figuring out the game but still.
07-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouick View Post
http://www.witchbeamgames.com/magicchain/tips.shtml

Not really helping figuring out the game but still.
um helps sorta wish there was a vid
07-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Ok bought it, I'll leave impressions soon after a session.
07-27-2009, 03:48 AM
Looks cute, but a game play video would be nice.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)
07-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouick View Post
Ok bought it, I'll leave impressions soon after a session.
okay im gonna trust your opinion and base it off if i should buy it
07-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Totally thought this was going to be a tetris attack clone
07-27-2009, 04:26 AM
Ok, played the first mission (out of 13) and a bit of endless mode.

It's quite easy to play and to understand.
As opposed as all the other games you play, you don't have to draw the chains with your finger.

You have to tap on each enemy in order to do a chain reaction with your spell.
You can select as much as 7 enemies in one chain which increases largely your score.

You can select only enemy if the situation is getting dangerous for you.
You are in the center of the screen and you bought a TV instead of a GPS which means you're in a dangerous forest surrounded by vicious animals and angry badgers (even more then Enviro-Bear).

Each enemy comes to the center of the screen to eat you alive (yeah even worms...)
If the touch you, you loose a life (which is displayed by a fairy on the bottom left of the screen).
You can active a nice AOE speel by shaking your iDevice. You can only use one per level in story mode and you can gain some by incresing your score in endless mode (you can gain lives the exact same way in endless mode).

The difficulty of the game (well it's not really difficult tbh) is to play for the score, you can win a level only by killing one mob at the time but you won't gain much points.

You need to think your strategy and to choose the mobs depending on their speed and their pattern (not every enemy comes to you in a straight line, some do the circle pattern to reach you like bees). The more risks you take, the more rewards you'll win.
The interesting gameplay twist is that once you select the enemies you want to destroy, you click on yourself to trigger the spell effects. Once you click on yourself, your spell will reach your enemies one at the time and in the same order you "drew" your chain which means if you selected a faster animal at the end of your 7 chain, you'll get eaten before your spell reaches the last animal.

You can have more than one spell at the time so think wisely and solo kill badgers because they're are mean, they hate bears and witches.

You can't play your iPod music during the game but maybe they'll add it afterwards.

The graphics are great, the music is good (but repetitive) and the gameplay is fun and easy to play even for younger kids.

The only minor drawback of this game is the difficulty.
It's quite easy but I only got to 100k points in endless mode and up to stage 2 in story mode.
I don't see a global leaderboard for endless so it might be another issue.

Overall: 4/5 as it is polished game and it should please every gamer out there.
07-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Wow, thanks for the review. It is on my watch list now.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

“Honestly, I was never terribly good at games.” - Finch (PoI S2E16)