★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Shelter (zombie card game) is currently FREE

08-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Shelter (zombie card game) is currently FREE

Still no news on an universal update or version,but the app is now free.

08-24-2013, 06:35 AM
I'll give it a shot. Thanks

08-24-2013, 07:30 AM
I'll give it a shot too! On a side note, this game looks like Survivor Z.
08-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsofdestiny89 View Post
I'll give it a shot too! On a side note, this game looks like Survivor Z.
Nothing like it. Great game, wish it were universal.
08-24-2013, 07:11 PM
The Zombies have Fallen! Shelter Impression

I spotted this game on Appshopper last night and decided to give it a whirl. However once I started, I had a really hard time putting it down. Than I noticed TA hasn't reviewed it. So here is my impression.

Shelter is a strategic, survival card game set in a familiar story line. Based in a setting of a zombie apocalypse (shhh - the characters refer to them as the fallen) the story unfolds in a visually pleasing graphic novel style. The game and artwork were done by one man army Chris Roberts at Survival Games.

Although the visual style and tone might remind you of the walking dead series, it manages to feel original in its own right thanks to it's solid mechanics and tightly interwoven story. Everything seems so polished. At certain points, I felt like I was playing a seamless mix between Organ Tail: Directors Cut and The Walking Dead; with cards. With choices such as furthering the main story line or seizing opportunistic supply areas, Shelter feels open enough where you have control of your destiny.

The real meat of the game is definitely in the duels. After you choose your destination, you're squared up against whatever zombie types within the building. Between you and the hoard however, is a blockade to help slow down the fallen giving you a fighting chance. Sure they may outnumber you ten to one, but you have a working brain and fresh tactics to unleash on the various zed types. These different types help deepen the strategy. Some may have armor while some can heal themselves and should be taken out quickly.

There are ten cards you draw. Five barricade cards will be laid out for you at the start while the other five are single use attack cards. The latter ranging from pistols and rifles to close range, final stand weapons like an axe or a chain lock to whoop ass with. They may also be supporting types like ammo for extra bullets or plywood to help strengthen a weakened barricade. Each card has a certain number of action points or AP so it's important to choose wisely each round as you have a limited number that replenishes each round.

Overall Shelter is easy to learn, very well polished, and challenging all in one neatly packed app. If you're looking for a zombie survival game with rock solid mechanics, check it out. There isn't any IAP and is worth every cent of the regular asking price. Regardless if you're into CCG or not, the game manages to keep you hooked and engaged the whole time.
08-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Is this thing story based/mission/random ???
08-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddlecat View Post
There are story missions you play once and optional areas you can play many times.

It's quite good, though it's confusing at first since some of the terms aren't explained (like "stack")
08-24-2013, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddlecat View Post
I don't understand. Those are 2 different elements in a video game. A game can be story based with missions in it.

Shelter is story driven with the ability to choose what locations you want to visit. Some locations further the main story.
08-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
There are story missions you play once and optional areas you can play many times.

It's quite good, though it's confusing at first since some of the terms aren't explained (like "stack")
I just picked this up and have only watched the tutorials so far. Stack is explained.
08-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Looks cool. Thanks man.
Will leave imps in thread.