★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Deep Green

12-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Deep Green

Deep Green chess is out, looks very nice. I have been looking for a good chess app.

http://daringfireball.net/2008/12/deep_green John Gruber likes it. So it is for sure going to sell at least 5,000,000 units ^_^

Gruber is a real nut for user interface, and so am I. So I bet I will like it.
12-10-2008, 07:26 AM
If you like chess, just get cyber chess. You can play on two real chess networks using 3G, i.e. p.c. networks (MUCH better than just playing other people with iphones, like 'chess club' etc.), so you have plenty of real opponents. One server is FIGs, which has 10,000+ users. You can access your rating information, create games with many different parameters, including time/opponent rating etc., and most importantly you can find decent opponents very very easily. I've never 'dropped' a game due to crashing, I've never had less than a dozen available opponents, and it's by far the iphone game I play the most. And no, I'm not a developer, I don't know who made this game, but I just bloody love being able to play against good human opponents anytime anywhere.

If you like getting soundly whipped by a uber strong computer AI with a pretty interface, get Deep Green. Can't see the attraction myself, unless you have a ipod touch or no 3G signal. I've never even bothered trying the AI on cyber chess, so I don't know how strong it is. Or care.

12-10-2008, 07:48 AM
VirtualAlex,

Caissa Chess is also worth a look - not sure how it compares with others as it's only chess app I've got - but I reckon the UI is neat and it is beat-able at the lower levels - which is something I appreciate for self esteem reasons ;-)
12-10-2008, 07:52 AM
i might buy this sometime next year when i finish my Masters. I spend way too much time on my iPhone as it is. looks fantastic though.
12-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Caissa sucked when I tried it. It required you to drag pieces, no touch and place. Maybe they updated it though. Still, pretty strange that they managed to make such a basic mistake at all. The graphics are just a gimic; standard 2d mode is far more suitable for chess.
12-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchillesReborn View Post
Caissa sucked when I tried it. It required you to drag pieces, no touch and place. Maybe they updated it though. Still, pretty strange that they managed to make such a basic mistake at all. The graphics are just a gimic; standard 2d mode is far more suitable for chess.
A lot of people were complaining about dragging pieces when it was already possible to just tap from and to squares - the option was there in the apps preferences (prefs in game - not back in the phone settings pane)

it's amazing how many people are willing to diss hundreds of hours of work by a developer - simply because they weren't willing to spend a few minutes checking out all the options

as for me - I never turned off the drag and drop preference as it works fine in my experience
12-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Actually, the version I had DID NOT have that option. This was before 2.0 to be fair. Anyway, as I said, it may have been addressed in updates, and it seems that they at least added the option for the official app store release. Drag and drop was far from perfect in the original free version. Again, they may have updated this for the official release.

Last edited by AchillesReborn; 12-10-2008 at 08:33 AM.
12-10-2008, 08:49 AM
actually when I said a lot of people - I mean a couple of complaints on the app store reviews - to which others were posting that there were input options in the app that those reviewers hadn't bothered checking out

wasn't suggesting that you were one of, them, by the way
05-25-2009, 05:20 PM
There is finally a lite version for this $7.99 Chess Program
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=315130845&mt=8