★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Cataica free for the week

07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Cataica free for the week

I was tipped off to this game on another forum and it seems it is free for the week. Plays sort of like Asteroids but with a bright comic book art style. Uses tilt to control movement and tap the screen to fire.

http://appshopper.com/games/cataica

Sorry for the sparse OP but I didn't see any videos to embed on youtube.
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
awesome, thx for the news

07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
it looks like you're just shooting chunky chocolate chipped cookies...

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
07-27-2009, 01:38 PM
This is actually a lot of fun! Perfect for fans of Asteroids (for those of us who know what that was).

Controls are a little sensitive - tilt a little to rotate, a little more to actually travel in that direction, and the game play gets a little repetitive since it starts at level 1 each on each new game. But the price is right and if the dev is around these are easily addressed!

Definitely worth grabbing now for hopes of a nice update in the future.

Oy! What are you playing at!

Current favs: The Incident, Chopper 2, Doodle God, Carcassonne
Classics: iFighter, Canabalt, Meteor Blitz, Zombieville USA, Minigore
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
The comic style makes it different from the rest...

07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Controls take some time to getting used too. But a great game for it's current price
07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
yeah, the backgrounds however, even tho they look nice they dont really fit the rest of the theme( which looks all cartoony and stuff ), and i actually think it would look better if it were drawn just like everything else. anyway tho, i cant really complain since its free ( for now ) but renewing that would make a good improvement to the game i think ( wish the dev made the thread )
07-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_10 View Post
yeah, the backgrounds however, even tho they look nice they dont really fit the rest of the theme( which looks all cartoony and stuff ), and i actually think it would look better if it were drawn just like everything else. anyway tho, i cant really complain since its free ( for now ) but renewing that would make a good improvement to the game i think ( wish the dev made the thread )
I agree, good spot. Looks as though the dev did try to make the backgrounds a bit less real but could be more comic like. I think there's a filter in Photoshop that does that...

Gotta get the dev onto this thread.
07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
I love this game, and thanks for the news, but I am still looking for an origanl type of asteroids, true to the original game. Is there a copy that I failed to see? I am sure many would want it, but this game fills the void for now.