★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Snow way to draw on the app store

12-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Snow way to draw on the app store

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster

We've had our first app go into the store, we wanted to get something going quickly with our engine (we're writing much bigger games, but you'll hear about that when we need some testers...) and wanted to get something festive out in time for christmas

We thought we'd do a bit more of an interesting take on the snow globe stuff that you see everywhere, instead of just snowflakes/particles falling from the screen you run your finger over the screen to draw lines, and the snowflakes collide with them
(as well as each other, it twigged after writing a load of collision code that none of the other apps do this...)

Everyone we've shown it to has liked it (nice style, interesting idea), but business 101... it's biased opinions... we were hoping to get some feedback from the app store, but not enough people have bought it to get any feedback I guess

Here it is;
http://www.itunes.com/app/SnowWayToDraw

and we've got a site with some images people have sent us too, link to facebook group etc
http://www.tootlegames.com/

We're trying to work out how to market it now, the main problem we have is that it's buried under 4 pages in the app store, even searching for "snow" we're something like the 100th result...

The main thing we lack at the moment is a youtube video... anyone else have any recommendations on how to get the word out?

Maybe we're expecting a bit much from this little app xmas though, will be much easier to market our upcoming proper games . We're a bit used to publishers doing all the marketing for us...
12-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Your first link is taking me to podcasts!

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon
12-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Send a message via MSN to Paulio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_952000 View Post
Your first link is taking me to podcasts!
It took me to the app..

I think it's likely this app isn't selling is because it is, for the most part, pointless. You were saying that you were making bigger projects using the same engine? If so, this title probably should be free. I know that I won't buy this because I can not see me gaining anything out of it. If it was a free app and was described a being a demo of your physics engine, then it would get heaps of downloads. Also note that the people who own this app will be getting full advertisement for your next releases. I really hope this doesn't sound like bashing your app, because it does interest me, but I just think that for what it does, it's a little bit pricy perhaps. I think the concept is cool and all, but I would not buy it. The advertisement advantage you will gain from getting many downloads as a free app will also increase the sales of you next 'proper' apps, and my main interest is to get the highest possible standard of an app and having this advantage will aid that. An example of this in action is with Cube. This game is a direct port of an amazing 3D engine with little or no work on it, purly put onto the AppStore so that people will know about their next game Cube II (whatever it's going to be called). The only problem with Cube is that not many people liked it due to it's lack of iPhone tweaks so it scored low. You, on the other hand, having an app that was made for the iPhone directly, should not have this problem.
Again, I'm not trying to have a go, just adding my opinion on to what I think you should do, and I bid you good luck in whatever you decide.
12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
You have asked for feedback, so here is my honest and unbiased opinions on your Christmas app. I haven't purchased it so my opinions and impressions are based soley on the iTunes page. I brain-stormed my thoughts when I viewed the iTunes page for your app. These are just raw thoughts in point format (and likely seem very harsh for that reason!). You may or may not find them helpful.
  • A novelty app that doesn't really appeal to me.
  • If I was interested in this type of app I suspect that I might use once, then show it to a few friends and then delete it from my iPhone.
  • Would appeal to younger people or children.
  • Line rider clone that has less options.
  • The snowflakes do kind of get lost in the screen images but this might not be a problem when they are moving around the screen.
  • Clunky looking lines.
  • Are there options for line sizes/widths/thickness?
  • Are there options for the type of lines fine/round/square/etc?
  • Are there multiple save options for work in progress?
  • Can the user change the background colour/image?
  • Can I email images to for friends/public to download to their device and into this app if they have it?
  • Can the user change the size of the snowflakes to make them smaller or larger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseTreeRobot View Post
We're trying to work out how to market it now, the main problem we have is that it's buried under 4 pages in the app store, even searching for "snow" we're something like the 100th result...

The main thing we lack at the moment is a youtube video... anyone else have any recommendations on how to get the word out?

Maybe we're expecting a bit much from this little app xmas though, will be much easier to market our upcoming proper games . We're a bit used to publishers doing all the marketing for us...
One of the thoughts I had was that this looks like a line rider clone. The idea is vaguely similar in that you draw on the screen and in this case it is snowflakes that interact with your drawing and not a man on a sled. So you could add to the app store description. You could include a line that says something like "this app may appeal to people who like line rider". I believe the app descriptions are used when someone searches in the iTunes store. So this might be one way of getting more people to eyeball your app. Although for the love of all that is good and great please don't abuse this and say the app is similar to Trism, Snail Mail, Bejeweled, etc!

Good-luck with your app and your upcoming games.