★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Alien with a Magnet $2.99---> Free (at 11 EST)

08-29-2013, 06:53 PM
#1
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,250
Alien with a Magnet $2.99---> Free (at 11 EST)




EDIT: Sorry, hasn't been reading the main thread. Looks like this is going freemium permanently with an ad on the main menu. Kind of sucks for those who paid for it and wish the dev could have implemented it differently, but could be worse. At least he's being upfront about it.

For newbies, grab it. One little ad sounds like a good deal for a great game.

Last edited by awp69; 08-29-2013 at 07:42 PM.
08-29-2013, 07:54 PM
#2
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river!
Posts: 2,484
Devs really need to come up with something better for paying users, it's irritating to force this kind of change without handling those who have paid a significant amount of money for the game.

08-29-2013, 08:51 PM
#3
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,606
Downloading it! Thanks.

Pine Entertainment
08-29-2013, 09:25 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Devs really need to come up with something better for paying users, it's irritating to force this kind of change without handling those who have paid a significant amount of money for the game.

I'm not trying to diminish the sour taste in your mouth. I've felt it many times after a game that I purchase has gone free. However the developer has only sold several thousand copies of this game. He doesn't have the resources to support multiple versions of the game and he probably needs to turn a profit to support himself since this is his livelihood.
08-29-2013, 09:51 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
I'm not trying to diminish the sour taste in your mouth. I've felt it many times after a game that I purchase has gone free. However the developer has only sold several thousand copies of this game. He doesn't have the resources to support multiple versions of the game and he probably needs to turn a profit to support himself since this is his livelihood.
"Several thousand" is a hell of a lot more than many other devs who have done this type of thing. There are apps that get far less. So even though the change sounds minor, I can't say I'm entirely sympathetic. Why not run a temporary sale first?
08-29-2013, 10:29 PM
#6
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: In a hole
Posts: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Devs really need to come up with something better for paying users, it's irritating to force this kind of change without handling those who have paid a significant amount of money for the game.
Totally agree.

And if the dev has only sold a few thousand (which doesn't seem too bad) that doesn't mean that the dev can't give the original paying customers an ad free version or a code to remove ads. It's really bad form.
08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
#7
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,251
That really sucks for the people who supported it and bought it. Though, to be fair for those who paid money to download the game with the thought of getting a premium title, the developer really should release an ad-filled version of the game. This has happened before on a few apps I've paid for, and since then never supported the developer in the future by buying their later apps. It's crappy when an app doesn't do as good as they would like, but it's just as bad to forget about the fans who paid money for the app
08-30-2013, 12:11 AM
#8
Joined: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
I'm not trying to diminish the sour taste in your mouth. I've felt it many times after a game that I purchase has gone free. However the developer has only sold several thousand copies of this game. He doesn't have the resources to support multiple versions of the game and he probably needs to turn a profit to support himself since this is his livelihood.
This isn't a temporary free, this is an intentional $3 app made to freemium, a bait and switch.

If you delete it, you will gets ads and a freemium app.

I still say this should be illegal and hopefully some crafty lawyer will sue Apple for this blatent bait and switches to stop this growing trend.

If this happened to all games, everyone would be pissed.

Anyway, there is nothing I can do about it, cause I had deleted it shortly after purchased, so my $3 is long gone, but I honestly think it should be illegal. Plain and simple.
08-30-2013, 01:00 AM
#9
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
This isn't a temporary free, this is an intentional $3 app made to freemium, a bait and switch.

If you delete it, you will gets ads and a freemium app.

I still say this should be illegal and hopefully some crafty lawyer will sue Apple for this blatent bait and switches to stop this growing trend.

If this happened to all games, everyone would be pissed.

Anyway, there is nothing I can do about it, cause I had deleted it shortly after purchased, so my $3 is long gone, but I honestly think it should be illegal. Plain and simple.
I highly doubt anyone complaining actually paid $3 for it. It launched at a dollar.

That said, while I understand why it's being done, my moral stance on the matter has some say in my decisions (Hey Gabrien! Maybe there's still some hope for me! ) and I sadly deleted the game the second I saw the "announcement" in the release thread. I can use those 400 MB.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

Last edited by metalcasket; 08-30-2013 at 01:03 AM.
08-30-2013, 01:46 AM
#10
Joined: May 2012
Location: In the Chatroom
Posts: 15,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
I highly doubt anyone complaining actually paid $3 for it. It launched at a dollar.

That said, while I understand why it's being done, my moral stance on the matter has some say in my decisions (Hey Gabrien! Maybe there's still some hope for me! ) and I sadly deleted the game the second I saw the "announcement" in the release thread. I can use those 400 MB.
Well, that is true, but the fact is the app is supposed to be regular priced at $3. I think if an app is priced as a midranged premium app, it does make it worse.

But really, this is more the principle, not the buck or whatever the early adopters paid for it.

Anyway, I didn't care much for the game especially with the big disk size, so it didn't stay in my ipad after purchase.

Now if I reload it, it's got ads and is freemium.

This stuff just has to stop. Baiting and switching needs to become illegal, cause honestly, if it was a physical purchase it would be illegal.

It's the principle and it really hurts the appstore not only for consumers but also for good devs too cause it often makes people think twice about purchasing games if they constantly have these bait and switches done.

I really don't think it is right for some to justify it just because a game didn't sell well. Just because a dev didn't make a profit doesn't seem to justify doing something that is borderline illegal.