Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default 868-HACK by Michael Brough

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 09-02-2013 at 06:19 AM..
Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

This game looks sweet! This guy has a less polished one for windows and Mac online somewhere but I can't remember the link. Looks really unique though!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Clever and original. Very difficult to explain the gameplay; I still very much feel like I am only learning the mechanics and scratching the surface of strategy after a handful of games. One that requires being taken on faith, then, but is highly likely to reward those who take the plunge.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Clever and original. Very difficult to explain the gameplay; I still very much feel like I am only learning the mechanics and scratching the surface of strategy after a handful of games. One that requires being taken on faith, then, but is highly likely to reward those who take the plunge.
Excellent feedback! I will surely take the plunge when I load up my credits on the App Store this week.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 AM
iPad 2

Hey, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotDamn View Post
This game looks sweet! This guy has a less polished one for windows and Mac online somewhere but I can't remember the link. Looks really unique though!
the old pc version is here: http://mightyvision.blogspot.co.uk/2...-86856527.html
it's really old though. I'll do a new PC version when I get time.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:41 AM
iPad mini

Awesome, been waiting for this or Helix to come out. This is from the Zaga 33, Corrypt, Glitch Tank, and O. dev.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Always thought it would make an excellent iPad game since I played the 7-day roguelike version. If you like getting lost into a game and then suddenly having an Eureka! moment, buy it now!
Old 08-30-2013, 04:56 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Looks good, but could someone who bought this explain the basic gameplay?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

It is a truly deep and brilliantly designed rogue-like, strategy, puzzle thing and I can't help but love it. And constantly play it.

Must admit, I'm also impressed with the core gameplay mechanics and the way calculated risks have to be taken.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratAll View Post
Looks good, but could someone who bought this explain the basic gameplay?
The game consists of 8 levels, each 6x6 consisting of a randomized mix of walls and floors. You begin each level in one corner, the exit to the next level is in another corner and there are two siphon programs in the remaining two corners. Running a siphon program once you collect it siphons the grid you are on and the adjacent grids in the cardinal directions, giving you the contents of the floor or wall. Floors give you up to 3 credits and/or energy which you can spend to run programs you've collected, and walls either contain a program or add to your score. Each wall also has a number which is how many enemies are randomly placed around the level when you siphon the wall - enemies will also spawn when you enter a new level, as well as periodically with increasing frequency the closer you get to the final level.

The challenge is basically what you do with your siphons and controlling how greedy you are. If you siphon nothing but floor, you don't summon any enemies, and increase the ability to use any programs you've already found, but depending on the class you are randomly assigned at the start, you may only have up to 2 randomly chosen programs available. So you need to siphon walls to get programs, and the more useful programs have a higher enemy number. And to get onto the leader board, you need to siphon otherwise useless score - where the value of a score grid equals the enemy number it summons (although a program exists that'll give you score as well).

Where it gets really interesting is the programs that are available. You only get a two or three word description of the program and the implications of what it does and how it interacts with other programs is left for you to discover. Running programs doesn't progress the turn clock (except siphon and a program called .WAIT), so you can use as many programs as you have credits and energy for between turns. For instance, the .STEP program is described as 'take one step freely' and costs 3 energy. This allows you to freely move as many grids as you can afford without enemies moving. It also breaks the rules of movement, for example normally when an enemy is in the direction you swipe, you will shoot it instead of moving: STEP allows you to move towards the enemy instead.

You really need to carefully think through and experiment with programs to figure out the possible ways that they can benefit you and observe what they do when you use them.