★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

3GS Enhanced version of Dark Raider

07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
3GS Enhanced version of Dark Raider

After making the 3GS enhanced version of Blue Skies, I decided to take it a bit further and make a new version of Dark Raider that adds even more shader effects...

Dark Raider 3GS is a specially enhanced version of Dark Raider which takes advantage of your new iPhone 3GS's graphics capabilities.

The game uses high dynamic range, deferred rendering with unlimited number of dynamic lights, and per pixel lighting using normal maps. These are effects normally only found in console and PC games.... but IT'S RUNNING ON YOUR PHONE at over 30 fps!

Dark Raider 3GS has the most detailed eye popping graphics of any iPhone game to date, and is the best way to show off your phone and make your friends drool!

The game was submitted tonight and is awaiting approval.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)

Last edited by salsamd; 07-28-2009 at 09:14 PM.
07-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Any screenshots?

07-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Cool! I guess, I must say, I'm more interested in 3GS enhanced 3D game, still looks nice though. Couldn't you figure out how to not make it an all new app?
TY

Drunk Stowaway on the Front page Tugboat! Join Here!
Beta Tested: Parallelus, Koala Dartz, Never ending Defending, Golden Sun, Secret app (x2), Earth Vs. Moon, Somba app, Copa! Shameless copying of Kamazar's Sig
iFallout Incident 09/ THE SEARCH FOR THE WATER FILTER! EPIC!/The Craigslist Event
07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I did post screenshots. Hopefully everyone can see them? I have do not have my engine working with both versions of OpenGL in the same app yet, and it makes sense to market this to 3GS owners only.

I also added cheats, so if you complete the game on each difficulty you unlock different things, like faster shotgun, free rockets and grenades, and god mode.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)
07-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Could you post some comparisons between the two?

back
07-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Previous version

3GS version

In the previous version lighting was all done using software. In the 3GS version lighting is rendered using hardware. It renders the lighting to a texture and then uses that texture distorted by a normal map to light every pixel on the screen. The end result is faster and much more detailed. The high dynamic range also allows for lights to accumulate to a brightness that is higher than the screen can display. The shader then uses tone mapping to display the end result in the normal color range.

07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
3gs has normal mapping integrated in it then?

back
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
3GS has vertex and pixel shaders, and up to 8 textures at once. So you can pretty much do anything that DirectX9 / Shader model 2 cards can do on your phone.

07-27-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm very interested in these 3GS specific games. Is this an update if you already have Dark Raider, or is this a whole new app because I don't mean to sound cheap, but I'm not sure if I can justify buying the game all over again for improved graphics.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Looks superb - and I am sort of glad that I newer to the iPhone market - I don't have old versions of games... So I don't have to double dip (like I have with half my DVD collection for BD)

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer