★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: 150-$200/hour??? $150k-$225k/development costs?????

12-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
150-$200/hour??? $150k-$225k/development costs?????

This author has got to be an idiot; either that or I'm in the wrong profession

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...ent-app-store/

".....ďBefore commencing any new iPhone development, we look at the numbers and evaluate the risk of recouping our investment on a new project. Both developers and designers cost somewhere between $150-200 per hour. For a three man month project, letís say thatís about $80K in development costs. To break even, we have to sell over 115K units. Not impossible with a good concept and few of weeks of prominent placement in iTunes.

ďBut what happens when we start talking about bigger projects: something that takes 6 or even 9 man months? Thatís either $150K or $225K in development costs with a break even at 215K or 322K units. Unless you have a white hot title, selling 10-15K units a day for a few weeks isnít going to happen. Thereís too much risk....."

Read the article; it's absolutely ridiculous
12-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Wow.

Please come up with a 2nd Gen iPod Jailbreak!

12-10-2008, 12:06 PM
"designers cost somewhere between $150-200 per hour"

I vote idiot. A designer would crap himself if he was offered that kind of money.

GameCenter: NotYou_ver1.0
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
maybe he meant $150 to 200 for a group of people per hour?

who knows lol

bug_nuts
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
$150 - $200 / hr is definately not an exaggeration for application development. Maybe more so for larger operations, but go look up salaries for experienced programmers and you will find that nothing this developer has said is as ridiculous as you think.

What people don't understand when they whine and say "$0.99 is tooooo much for this application, waaaahhH!H!!!!" is that any good developer who sees that trend is going to go ahead and put their effort into developing for any other platform where the money does roll in at their cost of operations.

I know a lot of programmers (family, friends), and I do not know a single one of them with more than 5 years experience that makes less than 6 figures a year. I do know one developer friend of mine who is fresh out of college, so he is only making $65 / hour at his first job out of school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vende View Post
This author has got to be an idiot; either that or I'm in the wrong profession

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...ent-app-store/

".....ďBefore commencing any new iPhone development, we look at the numbers and evaluate the risk of recouping our investment on a new project. Both developers and designers cost somewhere between $150-200 per hour. For a three man month project, letís say thatís about $80K in development costs. To break even, we have to sell over 115K units. Not impossible with a good concept and few of weeks of prominent placement in iTunes.

ďBut what happens when we start talking about bigger projects: something that takes 6 or even 9 man months? Thatís either $150K or $225K in development costs with a break even at 215K or 322K units. Unless you have a white hot title, selling 10-15K units a day for a few weeks isnít going to happen. Thereís too much risk....."

Read the article; it's absolutely ridiculous
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
It is partly iTunes fault for all this too expensive nonsense. Their system for viewing apps is terrible and forces developers to lover their prices so their apps can be seen so thats what people expect. And shame on the complainers for becoming so selfish and expectant.
12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
They do say COST and not salary.... there are other factors that have to be paid for, office space, software licensing(which can be A LOT) ect. Also, if you are working on a one month project then you are probably hiring freelance as contractors which is wayy more expensive... My consulting is around that much so it might seem high but if that's the only work you have in 3 months it's gonna cost. Notice the price goes down when he goes to 6-9 months, only 150-225k thousand, not 480-720k if it was 80k/month

Last edited by jonaswills; 12-10-2008 at 12:47 PM.
12-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Send a message via AIM to eeenmachine
iPhone development, and mobile development skills in general are pretty specialized. Many companies right now are lucky to be able to hire iPhone developers at ANY price. I get 3-4 emails a week asking if I'm available for contract work and I'm not even looking, and I'm sure they wouldn't flinch at those prices.
12-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Send a message via MSN to aghartastudio
150/200 an hour is a stupid estimation IMHO. at least in the french industry

I've been working in the VG industry for years
Designers or coders are payed something in between 15$to 40$ an hour depending on the experience... (monthly salaries are between 1100Ä in the most greedy companies to 2500Ä in the bigger more rentable companies)

The rate can be sometime a bit higher but it's extremely rare...

Anyway it's totally true that if the store become the 99c store , it will never be a profitable platform for devs, and it will probably stays in its amateurish state.

Alexandre leboucher - Agharta studio
Designer of 1112
Check out my twitter for latest updates!
12-10-2008, 12:43 PM
That does seem a little exaggerated. It does all depend on the developer though, some big companies have large teams while developers like Pangea are made up of one and only on person: Brian Greenstone.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic