Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Site Feedback and News

Old 09-03-2013, 11:37 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Default TA's new look

So TouchArcade got a makeover today and.... I'm not too fond of it. The style is great but I think a lot of simplicity was lost along the way. I liked the simple presentation of the homepage before and especially the way the forum was presented on the right. I could see the newest releases and the most talked about games in the blink of an eye.

Now the whole "Newest app" section of the forum is gone from the front page and the area dedicated to the forum is way smaller.

Is the any way we could have the option to choose our theme? I know, I know this was fast but I'd seen a few pictures from Eli's twitter account so I knew what to expect. I don't want to sound to critical but that's how I see the new website now.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
Now the whole "Newest app" section of the forum is gone from the front page and the area dedicated to the forum is way smaller.

This! The main reason I came to the site is missing.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
So TouchArcade got a makeover today and.... I'm not too fond of it. The style is great but I think a lot of simplicity was lost along the way. I liked the simple presentation of the homepage before and especially the way the forum was presented on the right. I could see the newest releases and the most talked about games in the blink of an eye.

Is the any way we could have the option to choose our theme? I know, I know this was fast but I'd seen a few pictures from Eli's twitter account so I knew what to expect. I don't want to sound to critical but that's how I see the new website now.
Let me know what specific sections you are missing, and we can see about adding them back in.

arn
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Let me know what specific sections you are missing, and we can see about adding them back in.

arn
Well the section I'm missing is the "newest release". The one that linked to the newest Threads on the iphone forum.

But more than that I dislike the fact that the forum is actually not the first thing you see on the right and that the space reserved to it is much smaller now.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
So TouchArcade got a makeover today and.... I'm not too fond of it. The style is great but I think a lot of simplicity was lost along the way. I liked the simple presentation of the homepage before and especially the way the forum was presented on the right.
I agree. While I'll probably get used to the new design quickly, right now it seems needlessly stylized.

On a different (and probably thread-inappropriate) note, I've been wondering if the TA app will ever have a Landscape or just Landscape-for-typing option. That would be good.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Well the section I'm missing is the "newest release". The one that linked to the newest Threads on the iphone forum.

But more than that I dislike the fact that the forum is actually not the first thing you see on the right and that the space reserved to it is much smaller now.
We're making some changes as we go.

You're talking about the New Games, as in the newest ones in the forums, regardless of responses, right?

arn
Old 09-03-2013, 11:57 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Rather than reskinning the front page, how about updating vbulletin? The up-to-date boards have a ton of very useful features. I'd like to know, for instance, when someone's quotes me in perhaps a reply. Or the ability to "follow" certain members' posts could be handy to some. The whole interface is a lot better, too with just a whole ton more functionality.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I'm liking the changes, so far. I never really used the front page and forum in conjunction with each other though, they might as well be separate websites to me.

One tiny visual glitch, you've got a divider cutting through the search text entry field:

Also the list of categories down the side is pretty unappealing to look at right now. I assume you're not finished yet.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:00 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
We're making some changes as we go.

You're talking about the New Games, as in the newest ones in the forums, regardless of responses, right?

arn
Yes, that's the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Rather than reskinning the front page, how about updating vbulletin? The up-to-date boards have a ton of very useful features. I'd like to know, for instance, when someone's quotes me in perhaps a reply. Or the ability to "follow" certain members' posts could be handy to some. The whole interface is a lot better, too with just a whole ton more functionality.
That would be neat
Old 09-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Administrator
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Yes, that's the one!
I can work on that view coming back.

There's also this view:
http://toucharcade.com/hot-games/

which is a bit of a distilled forum view, same as the app. We'll see about adding that sort option there too.

arn