★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Be sure to check our new game, SimplePlanes. Build airplanes and test them with realistic physics and see how they fly. You can find it on the App Store now or check out the website at http://www.SimplePlanes.com

Design your own rocket ships. Blast off into space. Explore the solar system. See if you have what it takes to be a rocket scientist.

CREATE
Choose and connect parts together to build rocket ships. You can choose from a variety of rocket engines, fuel tanks, and other gizmos. You can even build rovers with powered wheels. You are only limited by your imagination.

EXPLORE
Blast off from any planet you want. You can fly through the intense atmosphere of Venus, or you can take advantage of the low gravity of Mercury. Whip around the sun and launch yourself out to the far reaches of the solar system.

CHALLENGES
Several challenges are built into the game so you can see who can go the fastest, fly the farthest, orbit with the least amount of fuel, land on the moon, and so much more.

ROCKET SCIENCE
Kepler wrote the equations 400 years ago, and SimpleRockets uses those equations to model extremely realistic orbital physics. Players will learn about rocket science and astrodynamics while they are having a blast exploring the solar system. This makes SimpleRockets ideal for the classroom, or as a healthy alternative to the barrage of brainless games available on the App Store.
09-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Haven't played it yet but its downloading now so impressions soon. I like the other physics based games from the same dev though so I have high hopes that this will be cool too.

09-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Ooooo, have you had a chance to play it yet?
09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
As a bit of background info, this is inspired by Kerbal Space Program and if it even comes close to being as good as that, it's a steal at the price. The Kerbal community seems to have given its blessing to SimpleRockets, which is nice.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
09-05-2013, 03:42 AM
anyone tried this game out yet? would love to know your review
09-05-2013, 04:22 AM
I want your reviews, my friends. Have you ever played it before?

Pine Entertainment
09-05-2013, 05:00 AM
Right I'm back, it plays similar to another game I played called space agency,
There's a challenge mode where you have tasks of things like get to a certain speed before a certain height or tap ravel a certain distance, also things like landing on planets etc,
It starts off (after the tutorial) where you build a space ship out of the parts available to you, plenty of stuff like wheels, landing legs, parachutes, fuel tanks engines etc,
Anyway your engine power is the bar on the bottom right of the screen and you drag that with your finger to set your power then press the lighting bolt to start the engine and away you go, after launch that same lightning bolt button is used to activate your secondary things like detaching excess bits or your landing legs.
There's only 12 challenge missions so it seems like the main focus is on just experimenting and playing in the sandbox mode.
The physics seem cool though which if you'd played any of the devs other games you'd expect.
Erm I guess it's one of those games where if you like fiddling around building things its for you,
Like I said I've played space agency and it kind of feels like that only a little easier and with less missions.
09-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Just a couple question guys:

-how difficult is it? Kerbal Space Program was nice,but honestly I lacked the patience to study the physics,angles of entry etc.

-do you have to directly pilot the rocket as in steer it to the "right" orbit,assume a correct angle etc? Again it was something I found I hadn't the patience for in KSP.
09-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen_Grace View Post
Just a couple question guys:

-how difficult is it? Kerbal Space Program was nice,but honestly I lacked the patience to study the physics,angles of entry etc.

-do you have to directly pilot the rocket as in steer it to the "right" orbit,assume a correct angle etc? Again it was something I found I hadn't the patience for in KSP.
No! It is very easy. I've already built a 4 stage rocket and have successfully orbited the moon. You will need to change how the rockets enter the next stage, and there is an easy drag option to do that. Landing on the moon is a chore and requires a lot of practice. You can also change the speed in the game depending on your altitude.

***There is an app in development called "Space Simulator" that is more in tune with "Kerbal Space Program", but it is not available until the end of summer.
09-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Surprised about the low number of comments, so I thought I'd add my own, even though I don't really have anything to add that oooooomonkey hasn't said. It doesn't really feel like a game-game to me (though it can certainly be argued that it is), but just the fact that here I am, building rockets on my couch, is just awesome to me, and for 99 cents, if you're kind of interested in this kind of game, I don't think you can go wrong.
The game works perfectly fine on my first-gen iPad too.