Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-06-2013, 04:44 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Default Power Heroes - Simple Retro Action RPG!

A brand new adventure awaits!

Choose a hero and start your journey through an infinite world that spans from lush forests to deepest dungeons. Clear areas from enemies, collect loot and see if you can get the highest score!

Simple two-tap control scheme to control your hero. Power Heroes offers hours of retro action and contains references to familiar video game franchises of the past decades.

Key features:

● Unique action packed gameplay
● Easy and fun to play, but a challenge to fully master
● Endless and random experience each time
● Numerous areas to explore in various environments
● Choose from different heroes with unique abilities
● Upgradeable power-ups
● Cute pixel art that tickles your retro senses

Hi everyone! My name is Kari and Iím the single developer of Power Heroes. The game sets you in an endless world filled with monsters to kill, areas to explore and gold coins to collect. It is simple to play, but it also offers long-term goals to achieve.

I'd like to keep in touch with my potential audience so please feel free to ask any questions or give comments. I will post any relevant progress & news on the game here on TouchArcade and on my website at www.kortesalo.com. Smaller day-to-day developer activities will be reported on Twitter, so be sure to follow me there too.

Thank you!

Last but not least, few in-game screenshots:

Early gameplay video running on iPhone simulator:

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by i-kari; 12-11-2013 at 04:09 AM..
Old 09-07-2013, 02:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Looks great...when do you think it will release?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:49 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Looks pretty solid. Following this thread.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Yep looks great. Following on twitter
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

The screen shot look good. Look forward to releasing day.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:32 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Thanks for the comments! The game will be released shortly after development on it has completed.

On a more serious note, I'm hoping that time will be before year's end.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

First Development Update! (Well, technically this is not true as I explained in a post on my website)

Upgradeable chests

Chests are now an upgradeable item in the shop. Upgrading chests increases their chance to drop more coins.

Additive sprite coloring

Cocos2d only supports sprite tinting by reducing RGB values from their original. I wanted enemy sprites to flash white when they were hit so the native Cocos2d implementation was not enough. Luckily there are guides on the web to implement additive tinting, like this one: http://digitallybold.com/314/cocos2d...-color-tinting.

Character screen update

The character select screen is now looking something like this:

There is one hero available (the knight, our starting character) while three "?" heroes are still locked. One of these seems to be unlockable by spending 1000 gold coins and the others by collecting specific items: cherries and fried eggs (don't ask why).

I think I will move the shop button from the title screen to this screen. I also need to add a coin balance and to do that I have to move things around to make it fit.

Other stuff

I have spent a lot of time on a basic upgrade/unlock framework so that it would be flexible to add more stuff. It's still not perfect and needs more work, but it's better than before.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Another week has passed. Let's have a look what I accomplished.

Hero select almost complete

This is now an updated version of the character/hero select screen I showed in the previous post:

I managed to fit in the coins and the buttons at the bottom of the screen. I was also wondering if the hero names should be visible prior to unlocking them?

When you have decided on your hero of choice, you have an option to increase the hero's life hearts before game start. The "PLAY!" button becomes available at this stage.

Improvements under the hood

In the course of ongoing improvements to the game code, I restructured my hero class and the magical part where level transitions happen. These improvements can be time consuming tasks that are not visible to the player, but they are necessary from the developer's point of view as they help code maintainability, ease of expansion and so on.

Hero class

Initially the hero class was pretty dumb and acted as a container for hero's basic data. Then I added a feature to unlock heroes by collecting a number of items in the game, and this had to be included in the class. With each unlock a hero specific item becomes available for collecting in order to unlock even more heroes later in the game. At this stage the item drop system got involved in the process. So it expands pretty quickly.

Level transitions

Levels are divided into different themes like forest, desert or winter. I have a counter which is incremented after each level and when that counter reaches a pre-determined value, the game progresses into the next theme in order.

Transition from level to level (or area to area, depends on what you want to call them) happens normally by scrolling, or in situations where scrolling does not really make sense (entering buildings or a dungeon), by fadeout/fadein sequence.

This worked perfectly fine. However, the theme shift did not have its own transition and relied on the logic built around level to level transitions: scroll or fade. I felt that scrolling from, let's say, forest to desert was too harsh because of the different graphics/tiles, so the level change engine (sounds fancy) now always forces a fadeout/fadein transition in these situations. Works like a charm!

The system still has one issue that I'll need to tackle. More on that soon.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:19 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

This looks like it is shaping up pretty nicely. I'd say that it's fine to have the class names "revealed" even though they are not unlocked because that will let the user know what they are working towards. Another way to do it might be to have some sort of silhouetted image representing the class type so the user can guess what it is, kind of like what Giant Boulder of Death does. What you've got now seems just as good, though.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:37 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

^ agree with everything said regarding hero names.

Sounds good and looks fun!
Will keep an eye on this.

Last edited by Jxsgamer; 09-17-2013 at 04:51 PM..