★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: QuitIt! -- Design a Poker Challenge!

07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
QuitIt! -- Design a Poker Challenge!

Hey everyone, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I’m the lead dev guy over at 2n. I guess you can say I’m responsible for the Lumpster’s behavior.

I want to talk a little bit about what we have planned and how we plan on doing it. QuitIt! was designed to be a much larger experience. We released version 1.0 since it felt good and had the visual appeal we wanted. But there is still more planned for the QI! experience. For example, we wanted to include the ability to make Lumpy happy. But due to the amount of work, we deferred it for a later update.

We understand the promise of features added through updates is often heard by everyone … and often the dev does not come through. For us, however, we’ve done a lot of planning to ensure this can happen. QuitIt! was designed from the ground up to become that larger experience over time through updates.

For example, our main character Lumpy has a rich back story that will enable us to expand his hi-larious antics in the app as well as our web content. If you poke on over to our blog at lumpyspad.blogspot.com, you can get a taste of what’s in store for you.

On the technical side, we designed QI! to be very flexible. It was built from scratch. Tool chain and all. The engine is powerful and flexible enough to accommodate lots new content like more pokers, gifts, holidays, sounds, etc. And of course new features!

We’re making this app for you, the fans of Lumpy and QI!. One of our tag lines goes something like “Audience participation takes on a whole new meaning when you interact with the star of the show; Lumpy.”

We want to kick that idea up a notch by actively working with you to help shape the game. And in some cases, to help design the game with a more hands on process. Altho we’re still in the process of optimizing our art production pipeline (it’s currently the longest part of our dev cycle), we’d love to include you in part of that process.

Right now, we are finishing up our pre-pro for the next update. This update will include more pokers, a very special gift, and more holidays. We’ll even try to squeeze in some more features. Future updates will also allow for achievements and other online components.

Yas also promised JanB that I’d start to talk about potential features like gift interactions. As my first QI! posting is rather long, I’ll start to discuss that in a separate post later on in this thread.

More about “audience participation.”

What I’d like to do is to involve everyone in helping to design one of the pokers that will go in the next version of QI!

Here’s the rough plan: Get a bunch of suggestions for pokers from everyone. We’ll then select what we feel are the best 5 ones based on comic payoff and implementation. Next, we’ll have a poll to narrow it down to one.

After we select the winning poker, we’ll keep you guys in the loop until we come up with the final version of the poker.

Feel free to offer up as many suggestions as you like.

Our general rule of thumb for a poker is that it can’t be too religious in nature or offensive to people. Also, we’ll have to pass on suggestions that we feel don’t fall within the humor and spirit of the app.

We want to use this as a trial run in learning how to interact with you, our audience. We want to figure out the best way to work with you as a team. For those of you who are actually developers, you know what I mean. Once we feel our way through this, we can try for more interesting ways of "audience participation" in future updates.

For those of you that haven’t purchased a copy, we hope that you will poke on over to the App Store and poke the Buy App button! And for those that have bought our app … thanks for your support and help us spread the word to make Lumpy the first true intergalactic star and #1 in the App Store!

Keep on poking!

Ben

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!
07-28-2009, 11:43 AM
so yeah, i'm going to go with a porcupine tied to a stick

07-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Baby Cactus? idk if you already have that.
07-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Three words. Electric. Shark. Prod.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4667431.html

ouch.

↪ GameCenter : Igoo
07-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Welcome to TA Ben!

I love the idea of interacting with the viewers in order to help you with the ideas for the next update. That's how PG got so popular because Dave is very involved with the community .

Anyways, my idea (as stated in the QuitIt! thread), would be to have a old fashioned backscratcher in order to make Lumpy laugh so hard he's in pain and spews out coins. So, I suppose, you can make the poker either have a positive (makes him laugh) or negative (laughes so hard he cries and gags up coins) effect on Lumpy. It would also be cool to see the hand on the backscratcher animated to see the fingers move as they tickle him.

My other idea (while gross) is to have basically a booger finger poker that has the hand clenched with the pointer finger sticking out with snot on it. When you poke Lumpy, it could make a squishy sound.
07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
How about one of those toy grabber things?

You could grab a part of him, pull and snap back causing some sort of ripple effect.

Or pull off a piece, which he would look at and be sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoctors View Post
so yeah, i'm going to go with a porcupine tied to a stick
Mmmm ... porcupiney goodness. I likey ... but Lumpy probably not so much. Which means its cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
Baby Cactus? idk if you already have that.
Baby cactus. Not a big one? I like the comedy of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoo View Post
Three words. Electric. Shark. Prod.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4667431.html

ouch.
Zaptatious. But is it 3 diff pokers or one pimp'd out one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negamaki View Post
Welcome to TA Ben!

I love the idea of interacting with the viewers in order to help you with the ideas for the next update. That's how PG got so popular because Dave is very involved with the community .

Anyways, my idea (as stated in the QuitIt! thread), would be to have a old fashioned backscratcher in order to make Lumpy laugh so hard he's in pain and spews out coins. So, I suppose, you can make the poker either have a positive (makes him laugh) or negative (laughes so hard he cries and gags up coins) effect on Lumpy. It would also be cool to see the hand on the backscratcher animated to see the fingers move as they tickle him.

My other idea (while gross) is to have basically a booger finger poker that has the hand clenched with the pointer finger sticking out with snot on it. When you poke Lumpy, it could make a squishy sound.
Thanks for the welcome! And thanks to everyone for participating! We definitely want to engage the community. We hope to have a lot of fun working ... errr ... playing ... errr ... poking with the fans.

For Ye 'Ol backscratcher, are you thinking of a wooden one? You raise some other important points that I will address below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
How about one of those toy grabber things?

You could grab a part of him, pull and snap back causing some sort of ripple effect.

Or pull off a piece, which he would look at and be sad.
Sweet! The tricky part is the ripple. We had originally thought of building Lumpy in a more complex way that would have allowed for the ripple. However, we settled on a more simple manner to reduce the complexity of the Lumpy code. I will think about what we can do to make Lumpy behave more dynamically.

Negamaki has hilited a few key points here. First I think I need to talk a little bit on how the pokers work. For those that have played the game, you probably realize there are 3 states: unhilited, hilited, and destroy. Destroy is when le poker has l'expired. We plan on introducing in the next version an animation for impact. For example, one of my fave pokers is the rubber chicken. Upon impact the chicken's eyes could bulge out. The other key part to a good poker is the sound FX. Every poker has a unique sound. So what Negamaki pointed out was you have a poker which has it's look/style. You then have some sort of reaction you want upon impact. And then a sound.

Ideally we'd have a special Lumpy reaction animation, but that will take much more work. Lumpy took quite a bit of time to animate. I'm thinking of introducing something I'll call "Poker Residue". This will be the residue left by the impact of the poker. So, if you had say a torch, it could leave a red mark that fades. I can also maybe implement something where the actual impact FX is different. Right now it is a little white poinky looking thing.

One last important part I failed to mention. Really thin pokers then not to look that well visually. We had a lot of failed experiments. That is also why somethings you see a hand holding a poker versus just the poker by itself.

Later today I'll try and give you an example using Swordie ... a swordfish that never made it to prime time.

In the meantime ... keep those good ideas coming in!

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!
07-28-2009, 01:02 PM
an electrified Lumpy would be quite fun...I can see the bulging eyes and electricity during the prod and afterwards an small whisp of smoke rising from him
07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
A syringe, but there probably is one already.

back
07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Does lumpy have a nose? A finger that reaches up into his nose?