Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Will players appreciate my difficult game?

Hi all,

I have a new iOS game coming out very soon called Switch (in iTunes, it'll be called Switch - Dodge and Destroy, pending approval). Its a horizontal scrolling dodge em up, where the aim is to complete the game without dying by either dodging or destroying the on-screen action. More info about the game can be seen here: http://www.appvism.com/projects/switch.html

I have made this game fairly difficult and challenging to complete, with no lives and no continues, instead aiming for the joy of completing it with a single life (or 1 credit clear/1CC).

My question to you guys is: Do you think iOS users/gamers in general will appreciate/enjoy this (is there a market for this?) or do you think most people will complain about the difficulty?

The game plays like an endless runner/scroller, but there is an ending.. However, with only a single life and no continues, it is not forgiving and will show no mercy for careless mistakes (especially if made near the end!)..

Interested to get your thoughts on this as both a developer and a gamer.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

There is a market for tough games, but most succesful tough games do the exact opposite: they're difficult but forgiving, either having lots of checkpoints, or very short levels so that restarting isn't as irritating. I'm afraid you will be artificially limiting your audience a lot with this. Why not offer two modes: hardcore mode, with no lives, and easier mode, with multiple? Spunk & Moxie did this well (as do many other games, but this one comes to mind).
Old 09-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lena View Post
There is a market for tough games, but most succesful tough games do the exact opposite: they're difficult but forgiving, either having lots of checkpoints, or very short levels so that restarting isn't as irritating. I'm afraid you will be artificially limiting your audience a lot with this. Why not offer two modes: hardcore mode, with no lives, and easier mode, with multiple? Spunk & Moxie did this well (as do many other games, but this one comes to mind).
Exactly... there is a big difference between "difficult" and "frustrating"... but its very easy to mix the two up.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:05 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

no significant market for that. I think you alienate the key casual market. That said you need to really heavily reward progress like endless runners if you want this to work.

If you really want that in your game you can add a hardcore mode or something.

Last edited by Destined; 09-11-2013 at 05:17 PM..
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

to each their own (there's an audience [of variable size] for any genre and difficulty), but I personally detest difficult games. I started gaming in the mid 80's so have seen the gamut, but the only constant that made me enjoy a game is a good story and progression. difficulty tends to frustrate me, especially now that I'm older and get paid for solving difficulty/tasks, I don't want to pay OTHERS for adding more of it to my life.

i think/believe that every game that's ever made should have mechanics/options to cater to as broad a market as possible in terms of difficulty. it should not be difficult to appease both the hardcore permadeath freaks and those completely on the other end of the spectrum, who have better things to do than repeat things ad naseum(sp).

some people play for epenis achievements, some play to relax at the end of a long day.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I think the harder you make a game the smaller target audience you'll have. I would implement different difficulties and include an option for the user to change it. I usually play games on normal. I don't have much free time and I play games mostly to relax and reduce stress so I'm personally not a fan of "hard" games unless it's a puzzle game like Portal 1 & 2.

Good luck with your game, it looks neat.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:45 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Just make extra lives an in app purchase. problem solved. everybody wins
Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 AM
iPod Touch (1st Gen), iOS 1.x

Difficult or easy most important is to make a good game.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to crazykingjammy
Default flow

in short, unforgiving games blows peoples high. (flow)

The concept of a split second to make a decision for all or nothing is very anti-focusing.

The idea is that the unforgiving missions and tasks are not imposed by the game itself, but the player in the strife to attain perfection. This type of physcology explains that you wont get as mad if YOU spill the milk on your computer, vs your younger brother spilling the milk on your computer.

Aside from early arcade games, I dont know much memorable games that are absolutely unforgiving. And even early arcade games, while it was one hit death, you had lives to continue right where you left off.

Perhaps you can add health? This allows players to make a mistake, and give the experience that they have control over themselves to apply more to the moment as they just lost a life.

The idea of regenerating health adds even more flow, because when the player makes a mistake it adds hope that they are in control to fully redeem this mistake. This is very flow inducing.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Hey all,

Really appreciate you honest thoughts and opinions here, thank you! Since my game is more like a dodge em up, with a strong shmup influence in general, i think that's why i wanted to focus more on difficulty/hardcore/pattern memorisation!..

I've actually bitten the bullet and i'm adding in continues, if available, for the player. Instead of dropping in a nasty iap, my plan is to make it points based so score a certain number of points and you get a credit to continue if you die (or save it up for later).

As suggested, adding a difficulty level is also another option that i'm thinking of. Perhaps, keeping my current level as hard/normal and making an easy mode with less objects and at a slower scrolling speed.

But i do want to keep the game as simple as possible, with the focus is on the gameplay.

Cheers,