★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: TownCraft is a surreal crafting and city-building game with no in-app purchases ever!

You are alone in the wilderness back in medieval times, and must start a new town to be the celebration of all the kingdoms!

To the West lies King Oligarchy, a narcissist primarily absorbed by his own reflection. To the East: Queen Omnibus, busy 'taming' neighbouring kingdoms with the tip of her blade.

In between is you.

You begin by crafting the most basic of tools, tying a sharpened stone to a small piece of wood as a hatchet, but before long your town will be teeming and with travellers from all across the land. They'll buy your wares at the local shops, come to check out the sights, have some food and drink at your tavern, they'll come looking to trade with you, or work for you. Fish, farm, forage, hire, fire, and explore the bizarre and unique world of TownCraft.

Stuff you'll do in TownCraft:

* Play a new world every time no two worlds will ever be the same thanks to procedurally generated maps!
* Test your skill at crafting, with hundreds of different objects to create.
* Build bridges, jetties, workshops and windmills as you create a fully functioning and self-sufficient town.
* Order around your muck-ridden peasants as they manage your gold mines, stone quarries, crop fields, lakes, shops and taverns.
* Play in a world with a real-time day and night cycle watch as your workers wake up, go to work, hit the tavern to meet some passing travellers later at night and then get some shut-eye again.
* Explore each new world and unearth countless resources, from cotton to canary eggs, gold to grapes, wheat to wax and stone to silver.
* Follow an off-beat story as kingdoms vie for control.

* NO IN-GAME PURCHASES EVER! TownCraft is a full game with heaps to discover. You won't be bothered by prompts to share anything, buy anything, watch any ads or anything of the sort. We're not going to nickel and dime you. It annoys us to bits, so why would we do it to our fans?

TownCraft is the first game from Flat Earth Games, created by two brothers from Sydney, Australia and their team of intrepid developers.

You can find Flat Earth Games and its team hiding over at http://flatearthgames.com.au,
https://www.facebook.com/flatearthgames or
09-16-2013, 07:10 PM
Ive found this game to be deceptively deep and very much engrossing. While crafting is an integral part of this game it is only the means to an end. The micro crafting of tools and objects opens up into a macro level of crafting with regards to employee and resource management, as well as infrastructure strong enough to support those systems. While i see no where near the level of simulation of sim city, your transformation of a single hut to a small town is very rewarding. The act of you doing it literally from scratch amounts to no small feat.

As of now ive found this game to be engaging and fun. However ive found an issue where the game crashes after a certain quest. It may be a different reason but it seems to happen just after the quest to sell 50 cherries to a passerby. Ive yet to find a solution to get past it and i would love some advice if not some word thatit is being resolved. This is a fantastic game and i would love to continue expanding my little burg.

09-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Anyone know how big the generated worlds are? A rough estimate in number of blocks/tiles will do.

゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
09-16-2013, 09:54 PM
This game looks really good, I'm going to buy it and support this developer especially since they advertise no IAP.

Found this video.

Youtube link | Pop Up
09-17-2013, 02:26 AM
i guess it would have been too hard to implement some gamecenter achievements? a game can be good but overlooked just by the fact that it has got no gamecenter icon. i stopped bothering with these non-game-center-titles long time ago. there are already way too much games WITH gamecenter implementation. no need to bother with the games that don't know what the standards today are. especially from indie-developpers i expect a little more awareness of what the gaming trends are. so, maybe the sequel will have gamecenter support. until then: good luck and good bye. game-concept looks promising
09-18-2013, 09:13 AM
I am a little surprised this thread isn't more active given the popularity of Junk Jack X and Terraria, granted this game is a little different from those but it is still a really good game that deserves more attention then it's currently getting.

MidianGTX I don't have an exact number for you as I haven't counted yet but it is pretty good sized and it is rectangular shaped, so two sides are 2 to 3 times bigger than the other two sides.

There are several game world settings to play through with different missions in each game world. You can hire workers to work at your buildings(farms, mines, etc.). Really enjoying the game so far, hope others take the time to check this one out.
09-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by ojtitus View Post
I am a little surprised this thread isn't more active
a) It's $4.99
b) no GameCentre (assume the post earlier in the thread is correct?)
but mostly
c) I don't have enough space on my iPad to download iOS 7 so I can't download anything else at the moment, I need to delete things!
09-18-2013, 05:44 PM
this looks fantastic! Reminds me of the upcoming indie game, Banished (http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com)

Just wondering about how deep the simulation is - is there death? do the people need to eat to survive? do they mate to make children, etc?
09-18-2013, 10:24 PM
Okay, totally sold! Buying!
09-19-2013, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by HLW View Post
a) It's $4.99
b) no GameCentre (assume the post earlier in the thread is correct?)
but mostly
c) I don't have enough space on my iPad to download iOS 7 so I can't download anything else at the moment, I need to delete things!
oh no , no game center ? i dont buy games without this standard ..
also on mac app store , which is in even worse situation since rarely any developer inplement game center on the osx games and i often had to Email those developers do their games support game center before i buy the game !! lol

i hope Flat Earth Games better implement game center in their coming update , i will add this game in my app store wish list for now =)