★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What qualifies as a hardcore game?

07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
What qualifies as a hardcore game?

I hear complaints about the lack of Hardcore games for the idevice. For some reason the label Hardcore has come to mean a bloody FPS or a 500hr long RPG. For some reason a Hardcore game must take over your life completely or mimic real life to qualify as a hardcore game. I'm not sure how that came about, but I hate it.

To me a good hardcore game is a game that greatly challenges you to beat it or be the best at it. Its a game that requires a level of skill and determination to beat or be "good" at it. There are a huge selection of games on the app store that require this and have a huge FUN factor along with it.

What iphone / ipod touch games qualify as a hardcore game to you? Im curious....

Last edited by donner; 07-29-2009 at 03:03 PM.
07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Donner, what you want are FUN games.
Hardcore games are hardcore because of the blood and 500hr long RPGs that take over your life. If it didn't take over your life, or didn't have extreme blood, it wouldn't be hardcore...just...just...FUN.

07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charley View Post
Donner, what you want are FUN games.
Hardcore games are hardcore because of the blood and 500hr long RPGs that take over your life. If it didn't take over your life, or didn't have extreme blood, it wouldn't be hardcore...just...just...FUN.
Well is becoming #1 overall at flight control, or completing every level and challenge of Peggle considered hardcore?
07-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donner View Post
Well is becoming #1 overall at flight control, or completing every level and challenge of Peggle considered hardcore?
A resounding no!!! That makes you hard casual!

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Quote:
I see what you're doing there.

In all seriousness, I would say that the person who becomes #1 of FC or finishes all the challenges of Peggle is hardcore, but the games are not hardcore, they are still considered "casual".
So they would be a hardcore gamer of a casual style game.
07-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by le'deuche123 View Post
A resounding no!!! That makes you hard casual!
Oh that's classic....hard casual.
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Yes. http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...hardcore+gamer
Quote:
Someone who plays video games as a primary hobby. They tend to spend large amounts of time playing games, often in excess of two or three hours a day.
07-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I don't think iphone is the right platform for hardcore games. Gamers already have an NDS or PSP and either a 360 or PS3 at home... That said there are hardcore games - but they get buried in the app store quickly.

I'm a gamer and the game I made is what I would consider for hardcore gamers - though its on the retro side of that... In any case, Anomaly has not sold well despite several very good reviews...

Get fired up and hit the road in Assault Bandit
Take flight through the night skies in Unicorn Rush!
Spark It Up! - Zombie Dash - Anomaly - www.sumiguchi.com - Videos Here!
Have a toddler at home? Take a break while they learn to count: Count With Me (Free - No ads/links or other BS)
07-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc99 View Post
Exactly my point.
A hardcore gamer...though not necessarily a hardcore game.
07-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Right - I just see that the word "hardcore" seems to be related to only FPS or RPG's - it bugs me. A good challenging game that takes time + skill + determination to beat to me is hardcore, no matter what the genre.