Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 09-23-2013, 01:59 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Steam OS

Who's on board? I can't afford a second rig at this point in time, but once I can, I'm sold on the concept. Windows is not a safe environment for developers and their games. With a single update or a new OS, all of their hard work can be undone, and nobody wants to rely on Microsoft that heavily.

Switching to Linux essentially future-proofs your game collection. If it works now, it'll still work in 20 years time. Valve has been pushing for developers to release Linux ports for a while now, for this very reason. They want your products to remain reliable and secure. Hopefully, Steam OS will cause a surge in Linux ports and we can all breathe easy once again.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

I think it's potentially pretty awesome. But I'm not entirely convinced Valve has the muscle to get devs to develop games for Linux. There's a risk that the in the mean time backup plan of supporting streaming games from PC/Mac will just turn the Steambox into another streaming device. Still, I'm sort of excited about the potential. Fingers crossed and all that.

I wonder if there will be a way to dual-boot install the SteamOS on a MacBook Air? I hope so. Heck, all I really need is for Spelunky to be ported to SteamOS and I'll be happy!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

As Steam encompasses more and more indie titles (Greenlight, anyone?) the percentage of linux capable games is increasing drastically.

Plus, the thought of having SteamOS on a USB drive to take with you, logging into Steam wherever you go no matter what's installed on the PC is tempting. Not that they've said anything about that, I'm just thinking out loud. If they release an OUYA sized SteamBox I can carry around, that's even better (though it'd be one more thing to hook up to the TV.)
Old 09-25-2013, 01:38 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

What a huge disappointment todays reveal was. The more I think about it, the more disappointed I get. They aren't making a console, they are making a gaming PC. Actually they aren't even making it. One that can only natively play a fraction of games. Plus no prices. No pictures. Nothing. I'm not even looking forward to part 3 now.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
What a huge disappointment todays reveal was. The more I think about it, the more disappointed I get. They aren't making a console, they are making a gaming PC. One that can only natively play a fraction of games. Plus no prices. No pictures. Nothing. I'm not even looking forward to part 3 now.
What was it?
Please let part 3 be Portal 3...
Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
What a huge disappointment todays reveal was. The more I think about it, the more disappointed I get. They aren't making a console, they are making a gaming PC. One that can only natively play a fraction of games. Plus no prices. No pictures. Nothing. I'm not even looking forward to part 3 now.
This is a pretty close-minded take on the whole thing. If Valve even slightly manages to de-mystify the PC gaming world for the average consumer it'll do leaps and bounds for the industry.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:42 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
If Valve even slightly manages to de-mystify the PC gaming world for the average consumer it'll do leaps and bounds for the industry.
Gabe Newell is superman!
He still can't count to three tough.
(Imagine if they annouce Half Life 4, so that number 3 never comes out.)
Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Steam OS is going to give Valve complete control over so may problems people have always had with their machines between drivers, weird extra software, and much, much more. Transparent driver and other software updates are going to create a console-like experience and Steam-approved hardware is only going to take that one further. Additionally, having complete control of the whole system is going to allow Valve to very accurately determine what your either home made or pre-built Steam box can handle.

I'm guessing the way it'll work is that there will be a totally standardized benchmark that is used across the board for all steam games to show you which games you can run at low/medium/high settings which they can further standardize what those definitions actually mean in their ecosystem. From there, vendors can sell pre-built Steam boxes that are "certified" to score X points in the Steam performance scale, which will allow for a wide range of options for consumers to get in to PC gaming without needing to figure out how to build, maintain, or buy an actual PC.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:49 PM
iPad

A legit Gaming PC without windows? Count me in! Windows is the only reason I don't have one yet. Just the idea of dealing with windows gives me enough headache to not bother with it and stick to console gaming only.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
I'm guessing the way it'll work is that there will be a totally standardized benchmark that is used across the board for all steam games to show you which games you can run at low/medium/high settings which they can further standardize what those definitions actually mean in their ecosystem. From there, vendors can sell pre-built Steam boxes that are "certified" to score X points in the Steam performance scale, which will allow for a wide range of options for consumers to get in to PC gaming without needing to figure out how to build, maintain, or buy an actual PC.
Might have been a good time to bring something like this up, eh?