Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default My experience on combat design

Hey guys,

If you are a game designer or an aspiring developer, you might be interested in the enemy and combat design of Jade Ninja.

Quote:
In Jade Ninja, enemy units will be chasing from behind and players have to eliminate enemies by swiping fingers on them, however if players adopt the same strategy as they did in Fruit Ninja, they would simply swipe arbitrarily to stop enemies, and which will result in becoming a boring game. To illustrate the high precision skills of Ninja, we introduced the energy mechanism which means each swiping will cost energy points, and players can’t issue any attack once energy goes down to zero. As you can imagine, a real ninja must act wisely, attack precisely and manage his/her energy carefully.

Read the full article on Gamasutra: Enemy is Your Friend: Combat Design in Jade Ninja

Forum thread of Jade Ninja: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178999

Any comments are welcome!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:21 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I recognize alot of those strange faces and masks just like in the game: The Legend of the Mystical Ninja lol. I do remember you telling me that it was a big influence in the creation of the game. In case you're wondering how any of those enemies or people apply to the Japanese culture, you should take a look at this website. It explains every detail of the enemies, weapons and other interesting info and how they relate to the Japanese culture.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/ninja.htm
Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilw711 View Post
I recognize alot of those strange faces and masks just like in the game: The Legend of the Mystical Ninja lol. I do remember you telling me that it was a big influence in the creation of the game. In case you're wondering how any of those enemies or people apply to the Japanese culture, you should take a look at this website. It explains every detail of the enemies, weapons and other interesting info and how they relate to the Japanese culture.

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/ninja.htm
Hi,

I really love this game and thank you for the information!