★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.22 - Bait Master (Update Out!)

07-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Pocket God 1.22 - Bait Master (Update Out!)

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the late thread but I was taking it easy today. A little burnt from last night so had to be lazy today. Actually, I'm looking at the clock and I am working til 1:00 in the morning again, so much for taking it easy.

So, the Bait Master update really came together really well. I'm just going to spill the beans now and say it's a Harbor Master mechanic where you guide Piranha that come in from the side of the screen to eat floating Pygmies and when they are full from eating, you give them a path to take them back off screen. When a Pygmy is eaten, he dies and floats to the surface and you have to add another Pygmy to be eaten and the game ends when two Piranhas touch each other or two Piranhas try and eat the same Pygmy. The more Piranhas you feed, the faster they start arriving. We added a spin where you can actually add Pygmies and drag them where ever you want rather than have docks that sit in one place.

It may sound gory but its not, the Pygmies just look like they are getting banged up, no blood or anything. We actually had mis givings at first about the update because we thought it would be too chaotic but it turned out to be a really fun game. Also, the God level achievement is set pretty high, I think it might be impossible but you never know, I wouldnt have thought that people could get to 6000 on Ooga Jump either.

I also made two improvements to Ooga Jump. I changed it so there will not be any impossible jumps anymore. and I made it so you see Doodler sooner and you'll never see two Doodlers on the screen at the same time.

We also optimized some sounds so the app is under 10 meg again. you can update it over the 3g network. We will have to find a longer term solution next update. We will probably need to find a new way to compress all our sounds.

Speaking of next update, the blog has it as idle hands 2, but thats not the official name. Thats just the name we are calling it for the contest. For those who don't know, if you go to the blog, we are having a contest to decide the 5 new idles we will be adding next week. The next update isnt really so much of a clean up update, we are implementing Buddy Challenges through Feint and want to make sure we do it right and we add all the mini games to the new challenge system. The challenges will work like this. You pick the mini game you want to play and the buddy you want to challenge. Then you have 1 minute to get your best score. The minute is the time it takes to start your best attempt, it will not stop an attempt when the time runs out, it will just wait to the end of that attempt. then a challenge request gets sent to your buddy and they have to do their best attempt. They don't see you score until they are done and the winner is declared. A history of all your challenge results are kept with your feint profile.

If we have time we will do some optimizations and bug fixes but we primarily want to make sure the challenge system works well and not try to cram it in with the new shark update.

07-30-2009, 03:26 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Cool icon. First post yay!

07-30-2009, 03:28 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to thegamerocks06
Sweet!
07-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Unbelievable. I m repeating my self here but PG is definitely the best 99cents I have ever spent, iPhone games or otherwise

I m sure my 3yr old will love when those piranhas eat the crap put of those pygmies
Love the new logo btw. Cant wait to try it out
07-30-2009, 03:32 AM
hmmm
07-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure how the harbour master will really fit the profile (I looked at the harbour master pictures) but I guess (and hope) it will be good. Also I might sketch a few pygmys tonight and scan them and message them.

You know you love Pocket God!
Namer and symptom register of Pocketgoditus.
07-30-2009, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake.S View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure how the harbour master will really fit the profile (I looked at the harbour master pictures) but I guess (and hope) it will be good. Also I might sketch a few pygmys tonight and scan them and message them.
the harbor master screen shots are pics of their end of the cross over, thats not in our game. our cross over game is different.
07-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Nice! I've never played Harbor Master, so this is gonna' be pretty interesting.
07-30-2009, 03:46 AM
I am still amazed how you manage to keep it going, keep it fresh, and being on the front line of innovation with PG. This one sounds awesome in itself considering the PG style and all that's in place already, but as a whole PG must be an inspiration to every dev out there! Can't imagine the updates ever coming to a halt. They're part of life as we know it!

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...

Last edited by 'Jeep; 07-30-2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo
07-30-2009, 03:52 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
I like how PG is having more and more minigames.