Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Default Why does everybody hate metal?

And even some metalheads hate some metal bands that are actually good.

What the (deleted - mod) is wrong with this society?

Blames to those (Mod - deleting the offensive word) who just scream.

And why does every YouTube metal vid I come across, there's always a Slipknot hate comment? They're actually good.. I mean FRIKIN BEAST! They are hella band.

But all hope is gone. (Slipknot reference right there if you didn't notice)

Last edited by psj3809; 09-24-2013 at 07:35 AM..
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Firstly let people listen to what they want, i mean i'm no fan of 'emo kid' music but its far far higher up than a lot of the rubbish in the charts, eg American idol dross, the usual manufactured boyband etc. If this was a thread about how bad boybands or Justin Bieber is then fair enough.

I'm sure 'emo fans' could post a lot of negative comments about 'metal heads'. Specially about their rudeness/language as you just showed.

I'm not a huge fan of metal, i find all the 'look at us, we're scary and crazy.....' image of Slipknot laughable, they're clever people as they obviously attract a ton of young metal fans who love all that sort of thing. If i was 18 i would probably love Slipknot, as i'm older i find it just a great use of marketing. Prefer old skool bands like Metallica rather than the current publicity Slipknot gets for the kids.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 AM

I'm pretty easy these days on genre, main thing is I don't like anything prefabricated, regurgitated or a dry copy of something/someone else I've heard.

To be honest with current climate that doesn't leave a lot, but occasionally someone does something honest or different, genre has little to do with it.

Last edited by september; 09-24-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of metal, i find all the 'look at us, we're scary and crazy.....' image of Slipknot laughable, they're clever people as they obviously attract a ton of young metal fans who love all that sort of thing. If i was 18 i would probably love Slipknot, as i'm older i find it just a great use of marketing. Prefer old skool bands like Metallica rather than the current publicity Slipknot gets for the kids.
To be fair, that's not what they're saying with the masks, but I can see why people who don't know them might think it's supposed to be scary or mere shock value. Initially it was to conceal identity and put the focus on the music rather than the people who create it. The first set of masks weren't intended to be scary at all and now it's just become something of a tradition. It'd make even less sense to have Disney characters or something.

If I was going to call anything laughable, it'd be every rap and hip-hop artist who thinks they're threatening or unique in some way, which is most of them. Metal artists are generally down to earth, happy people who enjoy a laugh, but watching interviews with rappers is the most cringe-worthy thing I can imagine. They just can't drop the act.

To address the title post: People don't hate metal. Metal is hugely popular. It gets an equal amount of hate as other genres, it's just not in the charts much outside of Europe so you hear less about it.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

But its all an image isnt it ? I reckon 'most' rappers arent the hard tough people they pretend they are but most rappers wont sell that many records if they're pictured stroking puppies or skipping down the road. The days of De La Soul etc are a long time over.

Same with most bands, i was lucky enough to meet my idol Liam Gallagher a few months back, was he the annoying rude obnoxious guy you read in the papers ? (The stories where they photograph him at 3am when they wind him up trying to take a picture of him swinging at a camera). Nope, very very friendly indeed, stopped for ages for a chat, signed autographs etc. Stories of Liam visiting a fan in hospital wont sell papers, a picture of him at 3am swinging at a camera (and they say it was a bloke) sells.

Same for Slipknot, if theyre in an interview not swearing or drinking etc and instead they're talking about how their rosebush is growing in their garden and what polish they use on their car the kids wont buy the music.

Every type of music is hated and loved, theres not one perfect one out there. I used to like rap in the early days and a bit of metal but as the great Morrissey once said 'the music that they play, means nothing to me and my life' which is true. I've got nothing in common with rappers from South Central, i've got nothing in common with long haired people who wear denim and shout a lot etc !

The way some angry teenagers are 'so into their music' reminds me of how girls are so into boybands during their teenage years. Wont listen to reason as they think their music is the best ever. Always makes me laugh 10 years later when you see the angry long haired metal fan and hes now got a short haircut and works for a bank.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

I don't think Slipknot do drink and swear in interviews though. As with most metallers, the act drops once they leave the stage. I'm sure they drink... and swear, it comes with the lifestyle, but if they're seen doing it then it's probably because they were doing it anyway. Come to think of it, their frontman doesn't drink any more... and one of the drummers did an interview on a golf course. I can understand the image being presented in photo shoots because that's still playing the role, but they don't then go home and claim to eat babies.

Probably the best example of this is Iron Maiden. They've got a decent collection of foul songs, but damn if they're not the friendliest people you could ever meet. Nicko would give you the clothes off his back.

I like metal along with a bunch of other stuff, but I've never really tried hard to assign myself an image. I don't think your music taste has to match your experiences too closely, otherwise there's little point in storytelling. Presumably if the songs you listen to had to be directly comparable to your life then bankers would listen to songs about banking.

Last edited by MidianGTX; 09-24-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Slipknot is not metal.

Yes, that is all.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? The above isn't a "metalhead disliking metal" comment. In fact, I have no problem with Slipknot and used to listen to them a hell of a lot back in the day. They're not metal though. Not in the slightest.

Speaking of Slipknot, everyone should check out Stone Sour's House of Gold & Bones, Parts I and II. Easily, easily Corey Taylor's best work and 2 of the greatest albums to come out in the last few years. The damn things have been compared to The Wall for poop's sake!

Last edited by metalcasket; 09-24-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Old 09-24-2013, 12:31 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Slipknot is not metal.

Yes, that is all.
Yeah good point, to me its 'kids metal', dont get me wrong Slipknot are entertaining but they're just for kids really. When you think of classic metal you wont put Slipknot ever in that category.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Yeah good point, to me its 'kids metal', dont get me wrong Slipknot are entertaining but they're just for kids really. When you think of classic metal you wont put Slipknot ever in that category.
Nope, this is kids' metal:

Youtube link | Pop Up

I'm sorry for you ears.

Anyway, I'm not too big on Slipknot either. It's mostly about how their music is pretty boring to me, not the image, though.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I like Quiet Riot. Thanks Midian.