★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Mark Brown
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 4.5 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Pixel This is a free picross game for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, with over 100 hand-drawn pixel art puzzles to solve.

---

"Pixel This has a great, clean look to it and the controls work very well" - 148 Apps

"Great fun and guaranteed to give your brain a real workout" - Daily Star App of the Week

"Really attractive, a great free picross game" - iPhone Italia

"Probably the best Picross game on the App Store." - App Store review

"This is THE best iOS puzzle game I have ever played" - App Store review

---

- 140 puzzles to complete (60 for free, 80 more to buy)

- Zoom in and pan around on iPhone and iPod touch

- Play in classic or free mode - it's up to you

- Solve 5 x 5 grid and 10 x 10 grid puzzles

- Includes quick tutorial for new players

- Completely free hint system

- Save puzzle progress mid-game and resume whenever you want

- Tweet your best times to friends

- Listen to your own music while you play

---

Pixel This is the perfect puzzler for those who enjoy picross puzzles, nonograms, logic puzzles, or griddlers.
09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Surprisingly nice. I say "surprisingly" because for this type of game I was expecting to be bombarded with iads and nag screens, followed by a quick deletion. I've only played the first two Starter puzzles so far, and checked out the tutorial/options screen, but I haven't seen any sign of an ad, or been nagged. Yet. If that changes, I'll update my post.

The additional 60 levels are split up into 3 themed sets of 20 that cost $.99 each (as an aside, I really don't like how - at least on iOS 7 - you now have to enter your password before you can find out how much an iap costs. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be smacked at least twice). I went ahead and bought the People pack as a thanks to the dev for not being a dick. If I finish the 80 puzzles I now have, and he/they continue to not be dicks, I will buy the rest.

That said, if the dev were willing to release a premium version with all puzzles available, and the promise of more to come as free updates, for around $3.99, I would buy it.

Back to the game itself: it's really quite polished. It has a nice pixel feel, and the interface is good with the exception of the toggle button that is used to switch your tapping between removal and marking. I had no idea what it was until after finishing the second puzzle and then going through the tutorial. Even then, it didn't show the button in the tutorial, it just mentioned that you could mark squares you didn't want to remove. Then it made sense when I replayed the 2nd puzzle.

You can replay puzzles after beating them to improve your time. Each wrong tap costs you 20 seconds, so I can see that being a bit of a challenge on the larger puzzles.

The options are to turn off the sound, switch between classic mode and free mode (where wrong taps don't cost you time) and erase all save data.

On the main screen there is an option to resume a saved puzzle, and to restore purchases.

So, I think if you have any interest in picross puzzles, you should certainly check this out for free.
09-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Nice review, played a while it's simple and worth a try.